New Home brewer in kentucky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronR77

Reaction score
Hey my name is Aaron I turned 21 in november and got a home brew kit for christmas. I have brewed 5 batches since with some successful, and some failure. I'm a college student who loves to drink beer. My opinion of Budweiser being the best beer ever made has changed a lot in the last 6 months. Anyone else experience this after turning 21?

By the way, the people on this site seem more than happy to help, which is great. Thanks for that.

Hello fellow Louisvillian! (I've been in Lex 3 years, moving back to Louisville in June)

I assume you've checked out My Old Kentucky Homebrew on Story Ave? If not, check it out, nice place, nice guy that runs it.

Have you been using tap water? It's definitely not suited for lighter beers.

I actually live in lexington too. I go to UK. I have had more success with the tap water from louisville. Lexington's tap water taste like chlorine can't be good for brewing. I have an RO/DI system at my parents house in louisville (for our saltwater aquarium) I have never tried brewing with it but I have considered it.

I've lived in 2 houses here, both had great tap water, just hard. However recently in the past month it smells like straight chlorine. I don't know what the water company did but I don't like it. I drink a lot of water so lately I've been boiling a bunch on the stove in my brewpot and putting into 1gal jugs. I buy water now to brew with, Highbridge springs, which is RO.

We should get a group of people together here and brew some day, before I move. I just kegged a bunch of new beers, and I know you have a bunch (who knows what will be left after the party though, hah).

I think that would be cool. I have been wanting to brew an IPA or a copper ale. I would be down with doing something like that after derby weekend.

Welcome Aaron! Hi there Odaniel!

Keep me in the loop on the brew day, been trying to work up a good pale ale here too.

The Kentucky Ale brew-off is May 14th and it is free. You show up and brew with their water and yeast and if you win they brew a batch of your beer and send you to the GABF for free.

Latest posts

Back