New HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.O. Blitz

Reaction score
I have been brewing 5 gallon and 10 gallon batches for a few years now and recently acquired a custom HERMS system for a sweet deal. However I have never used this kind of set-up (i.e. cooler mashtun and Turkey frier kettle) does anyone have any tips and tricks I should consider before I brew my 1st batch with it? I plan to do either a German alt or a triple IPA

IMG_8174.jpg
IMG_8173.jpg
IMG_8175.jpg
IMG_8176.jpg
IMG_8177.jpg
IMG_8172.jpg

I am guessing that is a gas system as I don't see any electrical components.

How do you plan to regulate the HERMS temp?

I control my gas HERMS system with a PID connected to a Honeywell gas valve regulating a natural gas burner under the pot containing my HERMS coil.

Yes. It's a gas system. Planned on using a propane burner. The HLT has a thermometer so I planned on dialing it in using that.

Not sure how much accuracy you'll be able to achieve using a burner only on the hlt without some type of pid control. You may get better results just insulating your mash tun really well. We tried it on a buddy's propane system and it just ended up overshooting by a few degrees rather than under by a few and was alot more fiddling around

You won’t have any trouble. I would calibrate that dial before Brewing if you haven’t. I would dial it back about 10 degrees before your target. I just ran a test with mine today. It wanted to creep up after I shut off the temp about 5 degrees. I think low and slow is better than what I did today. I don’t think manual is a problem. I had not used mine in a long time. I’m going to do a large canned starter batch this weekend. A few batches and it will not pose much of a problem.

Maybe after, or while cleaning it really well, do a test kind of run or two. Using it a few times will be your best guide.

Back