new here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homedrinker

Reaction score
Hey guys, i finally made the step to homebrewing after 5 years of wanting to do it. I am very excited about it. I do have a question. My first carboy that I have fermenting with a blonde ale started out a nice rich caramel color. Now after 8 full days of fermenting it has turned dark (very dark). Is this contaminated?? the reason I wonder about contamination is because after the first night of fermenting the rubber stopper blew off the top. I want to finish out the bottling if you guys think its still good. Thanks in advance

Heya HD,

Welcome to the hobby. Did you sanitize the stopper when you placed it back in? Even if you didn't, there's a very good chance that it's not infected if you followed a good sanitation regimen up to that point. The color could be darker due to an increasing amount of yeast floating around. I would recommend leaving it in the carboy for another week at the least, and one beyond that wouldn't hurt either before bottling.

The darkening is because the yeast has flocc'd out, isn't it? Does it seem clearer as well? It's just a sign that things are moving along in the right direction. Like Chudz says, give it another week and check the SG. If it is all finished up, bottle it and enjoy after a few weeks! :)

i didnt sanitize the stopper but I did run it through scolding hot water on my insta-hot faucet on the sink. Thanks guys. I got confused becuase the directions said to bottle after 7 days of fermentation but it felt like everything else I had read said that I should be waiting atleast 2 weeks to ferment

Two weeks is the bare minimum for fermentation to end with a couple more weeks added if you want clear beer.

There are a lot of kits with terrible instructions but the worst one is telling folks to bottle at 7 days. Let your yeast finish its job and prevent shrapnel injuries with bottle bombs by letting that beer sit there for a couple weeks longer.

+1
If your instructions don't match our advice, throw them out! :D

Sadly, most instructions are not very good. Patience will reward your efforts.
Welcome to HBT!

yeast activity swirling around lightens the color (you may have seen clumps floating around too - yeast colonies) and as they settle, the beer gets darker and clearer, as bknifefight stated. Not to worry, it will look right when you pour a glass!

Back