New here, may have made a fermentation mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a new brewer and new to this forum. I've cruised through the forums a few times and it seems like a great place full of knowledgeable people. I brewed just my second batch last night and I may have made a mistake. When I came home this evening, I checked to see if fermentation had begun on my batch of double IPA and there were no bubbles coming from the airlock. Upon closer inspection, the lid of my bucket was not completely shut. So I immediately click it shut and the bubbles started coming from the airlock immediately. So, give it to me straight. Is my batch ruined?

When I brew with one of my fermenters, I never get a single bubble because the lid doesn't seal. It makes good beer.

A few months ago I couldn't find the lid for the fermenter I was using. I just covered it with some sanitized aluminum foil. The beer came out awesome.

You're going to have to try WAY harder than that to ruin your beer, my friend.

Haha, no dude, you're all good! Your level of new brewer paranoia is making me nostalgic! ;)

Bacteria can't crawl, so if it was covered, you're fine. That compounded with the fact it was fermenting and you had positive CO2 pressure coming out of your fermenter almost guarantees nothing got in there.

RDWHAHB.

:mug:

When I brew with one of my fermenters, I never get a single bubble because the lid doesn't seal. It makes good beer.

A few months ago I couldn't find the lid for the fermenter I was using. I just covered it with some sanitized aluminum foil. The beer came out awesome.

You're going to have to try WAY harder than that to ruin your beer, my friend.

Good point to bring up... it really is hard to totally ruin a batch of beer.

Ok, hmm, five replies in ten minutes. You fellas have sure put me at ease quite swiftly! Thanks for the help. I'll post here let ya'll know how it turns out!

Just picture witches stirring brew, the CO2 is fog pouring out of the cauldron.

Heavier than air, so it literally fills the bucket the rest of the way, then spills out (or bubbles the airlock).

Back