New here... Have a a couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you post a pic of one table spoon filled with sugar? Depending on how full that spoon is, it might be too much for a 33cl bottle. Or if you have a precision scale, you can figure out how many grams is that. This is actually important, you might have made grenades.

You won't get carbonation near the lower end of the 0-10c range. It will carbonate very very slowly near the 10c range. You are working with ale yeasts so they ferment at 15-25c (and higher, but you wouldn't want to ferment them at higher than 25c). A lager yeast will perform way better at 10c, but even they ferment faster at higher temps.

Store them near the window until you get your desired carbonation level. Then move them to the balcony. Let's calculate how much carbonation you are going to get first though, if that spoon is too full it might be dangerous.

You can store them warm too. It won't make a huge difference taste wise. Temperature control isn't as important in bottles as it was in the fermenter since there isn't a lot of fermentation to happen now. Aging also improves the taste considerably in most styles and will make most off flavors disappear. Make sure to leave them alone for as long as you can.
Thanks yes here is the pics... i exactly added same amount of sugar to each bottle that u see in the pic

Attachments

• index5.jpeg
    index5.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 63
  • index4.jpeg
    index4.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 58
Tablespoon is probably too much. I just put 3 grams of glucose per 500 mls and some calculators say tablespoon of sucrose could be 12,5 grams. You should open a bottle every couple of days and if the bottles start gushing, it is best to open all of them immediately. In that case, invite your friends and have a party...

Thanks yes here is the pics... i exactly added same amount of sugar to each bottle that u see in the pic
Oh, that's not a table spoon. It should be about 3 grams of sugar in that pic. (A sugar cube is 2.5g so you can squash one to compare). The standard table spoon size is 12.5g, a table spoon full of sugar is 30g.

3 grams per a 33cl bottle is still a bit much, but its not bottle bomb levels unless your bottles have been used a lot. Start opening them after 2 weeks and move them to the balcony when it's at the desired carbonation level.

SOrry i meant Teaspoon.
Yeah, I was worried for a second you were going to kill yourself :p
Use cubes next time, it's just easier and you will get the same level of carbonation in each bottle. They fit thru the opening of the bottle exactly with a little push.
I am guessing you displaced plenty of co2 already in the beer since you filled from the fermenter directly. At 4g of sugar you should end up at 4vol of co2 and I have previously filled the same bottles with 4vol just fine. You are probably going to end up at 3vols. Higher than necessary, but not a huge deal.

A calculator: https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Teaspoon sounds better. Maybe 4-5 grams. Anyway, I would open a bottle every now and then to see what happens.
Nah, that spoon is pretty flat. It's 4g tops :p Probably like 3g.

Last edited:
I just added one table spoon to sugar to each bottle and sealed it up.

This is actually important, you might have made grenades.

A tablespoon, even if this is a spoon from the table, or about a teaspoon, is way too much sugar for a 330ml bottle. You could seriously have bottle bombs. I haven't had to deal with that, so I don't have any good suggestions, but once they've had time to get some carbonation, be extremely careful with them. Store and handle them safely - wear protective gear. I've read some suggestions about relieving pressure a few times. Maybe someone here can help with specifics.

Edit: I see I missed some posts. 4 volumes is still above what some sources allow in a standard beer bottle. And the spoon probably wasn't filled exactly the same each time. So I would still be very careful.

Last edited:
Some update.. SO i was walkign today and i saw my room smells like beer. I looked and saw theres a mess under my beers box. One of them was exploded from under. i moved the box to balcony which is colder now. My bottles were fake prolly, they were new but not thick enough

Some update.. SO i was walkign today and i saw my room smells like beer. I looked and saw theres a mess under my beers box. One of them was exploded from under. i moved the box to balcony which is colder now. My bottles were fake prolly, they were new but not thick enough
By the way, did you put them in the dishwasher or oven or sanitize them in some way before bottling? It's been only a week, they should be nowhere near the full pressure. My guess is you added way more sugar than you thought or the bottles are way weaker or they/some are infected.

Best of luck, tread very carefully from here on. They were old beer bottles, right? If they are made for some other kind of liquid that would explain a lot.

Sorry to hear you got a mess with the broken bottles.

Have you opened one that's still good? First wrap a thick cloth or towel around it when handling/opening it. Transport it over to the sink. Careful it could still burst.
When opening, do you hear a loud hiss?
Pour into a glass. How is the carbonation? Very foamy?
How does it taste?
These are all indicators of what went well (and what didn't) during the whole brewing process.
Learn from the (small) mistakes and make improvements.

Do you have a link to the kit or ingredients you used?

Nice call on wrapping with a towel . Stitches suck !
I mean thick, at least a tripled up bath towel, 4 layers of thick terry, 1/4" thick solid cloth between the bottle and hands. Not kidding!
Wearing leather working gloves in combo with the thick towel is even better. And a full face mask!

Or welders gloves and apron, to be sure.

This one guy posted a picture of his ruined bath/shower stall. Shattered glass doors (that's tempered security glass), and bottle shards deeply embedded in his tub surround, drywall walls, ceiling, door... He was so glad to be away on vacation.

Sorry to hear you got a mess with the broken bottles.

Have you opened one that's still good? First wrap a thick cloth or towel around it when handling/opening it. Transport it over to the sink. Careful it could still burst.
When opening, do you hear a loud hiss?
Pour into a glass. How is the carbonation? Very foamy?
How does it taste?
These are all indicators of what went well (and what didn't) during the whole brewing process.
Learn from the (small) mistakes and make improvements.

Do you have a link to the kit or ingredients you used?
yeh me and my friend drank 9 bottles. some bottles have foamy some not so much. but all of them have average hissing when opening.
Btw i guess alcohol is not enough.i had to drink 4 bottles to get drunk. however i ended up feeling sick and now i hate any beers, even smells of them makes me puke

yeh me and my friend drank 9 bottles. some bottles have foamy some not so much. but all of them have average hissing when opening.
Btw i guess alcohol is not enough.i had to drink 4 bottles to get drunk. however i ended up feeling sick and now i hate any beers, even smells of them makes me puke
Considering your OG and 9L added water and the 1.05 target, you beer should be about 5% alcohol.
This means you are an alcoholic :p

Since all of them had decent carbonation, they probably had too much yeast per bottle rather than being infected. Look into cold crashing and gelatin fining to learn how to make crystal clear beer.

When you are drinking them, pour them to a glass by slanting the bottle and make sure you leave the yeast at the bottom, which should be settled for the most part at this point. They will taste way better without the yeast, just saying this in case you were drinking from the bottle.

You also fermented it way too hot. Your room was around 25C, the fermentation probably happened to be near 30C. This produces a bunch of nasty stuff. Majority of the fermentation(for ales) should happen around 15-20C. On top of this, it's heavily oxidized from all the times you opened the fermenter and poured it in for bottling.

I am guessing it leaves a bitter taste after you swallow a pint. Being an alcoholic, I am also guessing you are going to return to homebrewing soon :p Might I suggest a BIAB lager? Your balcony is cold enough and you won't produce any off flavors at these temperatures. You just need a bag, some grains, and a yeast.

Lol, I've done that a couple times in my life. The last time I was about your age and it was brutal. Yeager bombers ......saying that makes me gag lol and that was about 16yrs ago. I dont want to get drunk . I just like the taste of craft beers . I like enjoying them . I drink 2 and 3 at the most and that's it for me .

When visiting the states contact me for some good home made beer (I'm not too far from Dulles Airport in Chantilly, VA).

Strawberry Wheat for posting.jpg

Of course, when I visit the Czech Republic I want Pilsen on tap.

Back