New here... Have a a couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. This forum is great, many good people trying to help.
I have another problem with siphoning..
Is it necessary ?
I dont have one.. Can i juse use a glass for bottling? I dont have a second barrel or bucket either...
Thanks

Thanks. This forum is great, many good people trying to help.
I have another problem with siphoning..
Is it necessary ?
I dont have one.. Can i juse use a glass for bottling? I dont have a second barrel or bucket either...
Thanks
A secondary is not necessary, in fact, better to avoid it.

A hose or a fermenter with a spigot near the bottom is useful. You should get one. A simple food grade hose is enough. You should also look into using gelatin for making sure the beer clears up.

You can slant your container very carefully and pour into a bucket first, leaving the yeast and the trub at the bottom of your fermenter and only pouring in the clearer part. This will however aerate the beer and that's not good.

I would just get one of these buckets with the spigot because that's less of a mess than a hose.

A secondary is not necessary, in fact, better to avoid it.

A hose or a fermenter with a spigot near the bottom is useful. You should get one. A simple food grade hose is enough. You should also look into using gelatin for making sure the beer clears up.

You can slant your container very carefully and pour into a bucket first, leaving the yeast and the trub at the bottom of your fermenter and only pouring in the clearer part. This will however aerate the beer and that's not good.

I would just get one of these buckets with the spigot because that's less of a mess than a hose.
Thanks.
So so just to check i understood currectly..
I siphone the beer careftully with a hose into a second bucket which got a spigot and then from spigot to the bottles.
Right?

Thanks.
So so just to check i understood currectly..
I siphone the beer careftully with a hose into a second bucket which got a spigot and then from spigot to the bottles.
Right?
If you have a siphon/hose, you just siphon it to each bottle, add sugar to each bottle, and cap it.

If you had a fermenter with a spigot at the bottom like this
you could just add a wand(to avoid aeration) and bottle it from there, which is easier than siphoning.

If you want to go with neither, you can carefully pour it to a bucket first and drain from there, but that's not a good option.

If you have a siphon/hose, you just siphon it to each bottle, add sugar to each bottle, and cap it.

If you had a fermenter with a spigot at the bottom like this
you could just add a wand(to avoid aeration) and bottle it from there, which is easier than siphoning.

If you want to go with neither, you can carefully pour it to a bucket first and drain from there, but that's not a good option.

Thank you so much
Last question...
My bottles are 330cc ( 330ml) how much sugar do i need to add for each bottle?
Thanks

Thank you so much
Last question...
My bottles are 330cc ( 330ml) how much sugar do i need to add for each bottle?
Thanks
By the way, when filling, place the hose at or near the bottom of the bottle rather than letting the liquid fall from a distance and create bubbles. Working with a hose, you will make some mistakes but try to be careful.
Watch this video,
You can do it with just a hose, but it's more work and easier to mess up.

You can search for priming options. People like their beers at different levels. https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
1.5g of sugar per 33cl bottle will give you 2 vol co2. This is the commonly accepted amount. You can do half a sugar cube or a sugar cube each, each sugar cube being rougly 2-2.5g. I just do a sugar cube for 330ml bottles, but that ends up with slightly more carbonation than most people prefer after 3-4 weeks. I like it, though.

Out of curiosity, where are you from?

By the way, when filling, place the hose at or near the bottom of the bottle rather than letting the liquid fall from a distance and create bubbles. Working with a hose, you will make some mistakes but try to be careful.
Watch this video,
You can do it with just a hose, but it's more work and easier to mess up.

You can search for priming options. People like their beers at different levels. https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
1.5g of sugar per 33cl bottle will give you 2 vol co2. This is the commonly accepted amount. You can do half a sugar cube or a sugar cube each, each sugar cube being rougly 2-2.5g. I just do a sugar cube for 330ml bottles, but that ends up with slightly more carbonation than most people prefer after 3-4 weeks. I like it, though.

Out of curiosity, where are you from?

Thanks, and im from Czech republic

Welcome to the forum Sistermoon! It's been a long time since I've seen so many guys tripping over each other to assist another brewer :) hahaha. Glad to see you're getting the help you need, all joking aside.

Welcome to the forum Sistermoon! It's been a long time since I've seen so many guys tripping over each other to assist another brewer :) hahaha. Glad to see you're getting the help you need, all joking aside.
I wasn't trying to flirt with anyone on a homebrewing forum lol, but I can tell how it seems on a second look. I asked her where she was from because she failed to convert between cl and ml which is unusual for someone from EU and had 33cl bottles(most EU bottles are 50cl) while clearly having English as a secondary language.

I should probably refrain from spending my afternoons on spamming this forum, I always make a fool of myself one way or another.

***Off Topic*** We bought a Petrof Grand Piano 16-18 years ago which as you already know was 80%+ handmade in the Czech Republic. World class workmanship.... it is worth way more used than what we paid for it new...

Now back on topic/HBT: Welcome to HBT!
it's unfortunate in a way, CZ beers are already decent and that just makes it harder for beginners to make something drinkable(relatively speaking) :p

You can get a piece of siphon hose at most any hardware store. Nothing fancy.

5/16" inside diameter clear vinyl tubing.

All the Best,
D. White
This

Also, I really like these buckets with spigots. I always pitch to about half the yeast cake, so I don't have to do any cleaning besides cleaning the lid. I fill from the tap with a wand, so I don't worry about the trub getting in or aeration or carrying around a large fermenter. I don't do any cleaning after bottling because nothing spills out whereas it's easy to make a mess with a hose. It really makes life easier. Kegs are good too, but they occupy too much space for my tiny place.

This message brought to you by bucket 'n bottle gang.

Last edited:
If you're using a swamp cooler for temperature control, the fermenter with spigot won't be good.
Are you talking about submerging the spigot in water? I don't have any issues with it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/submerged-fermentor-with-a-spigot.539741/

I haven't done it or used a cooler in god knows how long though. In the winters I do lagers and every other season is cold enough for an ale. I only really need cooling in the hottest part of the summer, and I will either not brew anything or wait for a cold rainy week :)

Thanks again everyone.. Answers were really great.
The reason i want to home brew is because its cheaper and its good to drink what u made yourself u know?
Its my first experience. I prolly didnt snitize alot. so im nto sure if it turns out good or bad. But for sure next time. i will make better, from what ive learned here :)

Hi again.
SOrry for keep comign back...
I managed to get a hose... for siphoning. thats best i could find. could someone please guild me how to make a siphone out of this? I couldnt find a pump. can i somehow make a siphone with this? I know i shouldnt suck. Any alternatives?
Thanks

Attachments

• hose.jpeg
    hose.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 34
Hi again.
I managed to get a hose... for siphoning. thats best i could find. could someone please guild me how to make a siphone out of this? I couldnt find a pump. can i somehow make a siphone with this? I know i shouldnt suck. Any alternatives?
Thanks
That hose looks like 10mm or 12mm. A 8mm one would be preferred for less aeration, but I guess it's too late now. The proper equipment looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Fermtech-Regular-Siphon-Tubing-clear/dp/B07FZ4484B

It also looks short. It has to be inside the fermenter AND below the bottom of the container(height wise) for a siphon to actually work. I don't know how large your fermenter is but is it long enough? Considering it has to go in the fermenter, and then out, and then to the bottle, is that really like 3 times the length of your fermenter? It could be, I just can't tell.

Anyway, with only a hose... Well, if you suck it real fast for a second and put it away from your mouth before it gets into your mouth, that will be enough. It takes practice to do this though :p If you were working at a larger scale, you can actually start a siphon by just shaking it but that wouldn't work here. Keep this in mind if you take on farming in the future :p Really sucking ... ehm, sucks, but you don't have a lot you can do with only a hose.

Once you get a siphon going, you should pinch/twist a section of it near the top(or have a friend do it) to be able to cut off liquid transfer when you are switching to a new bottle. You don't want to be starting a siphon for every bottle.

That hose looks like 10mm or 12mm. A 8mm one would be preferred for less aeration, but I guess it's too late now. The proper equipment looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Fermtech-Regular-Siphon-Tubing-clear/dp/B07FZ4484B

It also looks short. It has to be inside the fermenter AND below the bottom of the container(height wise) for a siphon to actually work. I don't know how large your fermenter is but is it long enough? Considering it has to go in the fermenter, and then out, and then to the bottle, is that really like 3 times the length of your fermenter? It could be, I just can't tell.

Anyway, with only a hose... Well, if you suck it real fast for a second and put it away from your mouth before it gets into your mouth, that will be enough. It takes practice to do this though :p If you were working at a larger scale, you can actually start a siphon by just shaking it but that wouldn't work here. Keep this in mind if you take on farming in the future :p Really sucking ... ehm, sucks, but you don't have a lot you can do with only a hose.

Once you get a siphon going, you should pinch/twist a section of it near the top(or have a friend do it) to be able to cut off liquid transfer when you are switching to a new bottle. You don't want to be starting a siphon for every bottle.
Thanks again. Yeh its 2 meters. i think its long enough.
I have another question Its been 14 days. i removed the cap to see how is it going. there wasnt really any bubbles anymore. SO i thought maybe fermentation is over. I took a sample to read and it reads.... 1010.. do i need to add more yeast? cuz looks like not much goign on anymore...
Thank you. And please tell me at what reading can i start bottling
Thanks again for your great answers

Thanks again. Yeh its 2 meters. i think its long enough.
I have another question Its been 14 days. i removed the cap to see how is it going. there wasnt really any bubbles anymore. SO i thought maybe fermentation is over. I took a sample to read and it reads.... 1010.. do i need to add more yeast? cuz looks like not much goign on anymore...
Thank you. And please tell me at what reading can i start bottling
Thanks again for your great answers
1.01 sounds about right. You have a whopping 12% to 13% alcohol there since you started at 1.1.

The fermentation is over, what's left is some unfermentable material. It's fine to bottle now. It's probably oxygenated a fair amount from all the times you opened the fermenter :p

Hi again.
Thanks

At this point you don't want a pump as a pump will introduce oxygen.

Gravity is your friend.

1.01 sounds about right. You have a whopping 12% to 13% alcohol there since you started at 1.1.

The fermentation is over, what's left is some unfermentable material. It's fine to bottle now. It's probably oxygenated a fair amount from all the times you opened the fermenter :p
Thanks.
I had to open it again to measure once more. I was wrong its close to 1.02 and with few bubbles. i took pics. Please have a look.
Thanks again for helping

Attachments

• index3.jpeg
    index3.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 33
  • index2.jpeg
    index2.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 32
  • index1.jpeg
    index1.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 31
Why such high OG? Possible to see recipe ingredients?
Because she was looking for a cheap way to get hammered and she figured sugar converts into alcohol and dumped a bunch of it :p

Kits usually aim for around 1.06 and the usual kit recipe calls for the wort extract + 1 kg of sugar. She must've done a bit over triple that amount to get 1.1 :p
Hey, don't act like we haven't been there before

After skimming this thread:

Your OG wasn't 1.090. Since that's what you measured before topping off with 9L water, the OG is probably closer to 1.060. We'd have to know more details to give exact values, but don't expect a 10% ABV beer like most of the people posting here seem to assume (perhaps they didn't read the whole thread?). It's probably going to be closer to 6% ABV.

1.010 is a reasonable final gravity (FG) for this beer. It wouldn't hurt to wait a few more days to make sure it doesn't ferment a bit more, but 1.010 from ~1.060 after 14 days should be a pretty safe bet if you'd rather not wait.

Using your mouth to start a siphon for bottling isn't ideal, but it works. Having done it myself, I'll give two pieces of advice:

#1: Hold your hand over the end of the hose and suck through your hand, so your mouth doesn't touch the hose when you start the siphon. This reduces the possibility of infecting the beer.
#2: Only suck the beer out until the hose side is lower than the beer level in the fermenter. Physics will do the rest for you and you'll spare yourself a bit of cleanup by not sucking the beer all the way to the end of the hose.

After skimming this thread:

Your OG wasn't 1.090. Since that's what you measured before topping off with 9L water, the OG is probably closer to 1.060. We'd have to know more details to give exact values, but don't expect a 10% ABV beer like most of the people posting here seem to assume (perhaps they didn't read the whole thread?). It's probably going to be closer to 6% ABV.

That makes more sense.

Here is a video for siphoning beer without an auto siphon:

I like the auto siphon much better, but this method works ok.

^+1 That's how I do except I do not touch it with my bare hands that are second most likely place to harbor Lactobacillus...(nr 1 is the mouth). I use sanitized rubber gloves. You don't need a racking cane but it can be easier to hold & position. When working without a cane you could submerge the hose completely in sanitizer, then pinch the tube near ends with sanitized gloves so that the water won't flow out when you move around. Train with water before you progress to beer.

Last edited:
^+1 That's how I do except I do not touch it with my bare hands that are second most likely place to harbor Lactobacillus...(nr 1 is the mouth). I use sanitized rubber gloves. You don't need a racking cane but it can be easier to hold & position. When working without a cane you could submerge the hose completely in sanitizer, then pinch the tube near ends with sanitized gloves so that the water won't flow out when you move around. Train with water before you progress to beer.
Unfortunatley the hose is thick, cant pinch it the way that it closes. so gotta use a tool. Im goign to bootle now. I will prolly ue a jug if i couldnt siphone

Unfortunatley the hose is thick, cant pinch it the way that it closes. so gotta use a tool. Im goign to bootle now. I will prolly ue a jug if i couldnt siphone
Maybe you can stick a piece of plastic in at least one end to seal it up. Or a rubber stopper or so. Everything needs to be well sanitized of course!
Train with water before you progress to beer.
That!!! ^
Seriously. Until you got the knack pat down, and can do it with your eyes closed, so to speak.

Having another set of sanitized hands available during racking can often help out tremendously.

And when bottling, a bottling wand at the end of the hose would be a simple & useful tool to avoid excessive frothing(oxidation again..) and overflowing. You want to minimize splashing and the amount of headspace(oxidation..). But you need a little bit of headspace so that temperature/volume changes won't break the bottle. High quality silicone tubing is soft and can even be sterilized in the oven at ~170°C. PVC etc. would melt.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I didnt have patience with hose and all so i used a jug first 45 bottles were fine. but last 2 jugs were with sludge, i had to throw away one jug. but still i did the job.
Last question... Now that my bottles are ready and sealed, can i store them outside?

Thanks all, I didnt have patience with hose and all so i used a jug first 45 bottles were fine. but last 2 jugs were with sludge, i had to throw away one jug. but still i did the job.
Last question... Now that my bottles are ready and sealed, can i store them outside?

Did you use a calculator to figure out the amount of priming sugar at a certain temp to reach a desired co2 volume? Usually I keep my bottles between 65 and 70 for a couple weeks to get the carbination level.

Did you use a calculator to figure out the amount of priming sugar at a certain temp to reach a desired co2 volume? Usually I keep my bottles between 65 and 70 for a couple weeks to get the carbination level.
no i didnt know how to do that, I just added one table spoon to sugar to each bottle and sealed it up. do i still get carbination in 0-10 c? of not i need to store them new window. which is around 18c ( 65f)

no i didnt know how to do that, I just added one table spoon to sugar to each bottle and sealed it up. do i still get carbination in 0-10 c? of not i need to store them new window. which is around 18c ( 65f)
Can you post a pic of one table spoon filled with sugar? Depending on how full that spoon is, it might be too much for a 33cl bottle. Or if you have a precision scale, you can figure out how many grams is that. This is actually important, you might have made grenades.

You won't get carbonation near the lower end of the 0-10c range. It will carbonate very very slowly near the 10c range. You are working with ale yeasts so they ferment at 15-25c (and higher, but you wouldn't want to ferment them at higher than 25c). A lager yeast will perform way better at 10c, but even they ferment faster at higher temps.

Store them near the window until you get your desired carbonation level. Then move them to the balcony. Let's calculate how much carbonation you are going to get first though, if that spoon is too full it might be dangerous.

You can store them warm too. It won't make a huge difference taste wise. Temperature control isn't as important in bottles as it was in the fermenter since there isn't a lot of fermentation to happen now. Aging also improves the taste considerably in most styles and will make most off flavors disappear. Make sure to leave them alone for as long as you can.

Back