New Guy, long time spy (first post)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonsaiBrewer

Reaction score
Aloha Homebrewtalk

first off you guys rock! Ive been searching this forum for about 3 years. Ive been brewing about 4 years. not real heavy, about 20 batches. Sorry I was just spying, but as a beginer, I felt searching the pelethura of data was easier. Funny thing is you are my only brewing friends, I jumped in feet first, have only brewed AG, and my only companions have been you. (its my own fault, im too lazy to join the Local HBC) Anyway...first post, first question, hear is what i believe is my water profile just looking for some feed back, and comments that may help me fine tune my process.

Ca Mg Na Cl So4 Alkalinity (Hc03) PH
24 23 46 69 5 170 7.6
:tank:

I will add my welcome to the others. You say you "believe" this is your water profile. Have you had it tested? It is money well spent if you haven't. As for your water, I'm curious if this is well or municipal water. Looks like you've got some salt in there. The Mg, Na and Cl are on the higher side but not unmanageable. The alkalinity is also workable. You may need to dilute with RO a bit and then just add some gypsum to boost the Ca and SO4 for a general all-purpose water profile.

The reason I asked what the source is was because the Na would be above health standards if it were muni water in my state. I highly recommend you post this in the Brew Science forum. Martin and AJ over there have forgotten more water chemistry than I will ever know.

Eh Howzit scrap room, I love hilo, I always say when Maui turns into Waikiki, im moving to Hilo

Thanks for the welcomes guys

bluehouse, i admit this data is from a list i found online:eek:, sooo...
I prob should get a test, but im sort of a ghetto brewer, and cheap too. Im trying to work out a small funky taste, it seems to go away with time, but not always, it may well be my process, i dont have the best wort cooling process, and i may pitch a bit high sometimes

Getting your water tested is still a good idea. Ward Labs costs about $20-25 IIRC. But testing is still no guarantee. My water varies so much that I scrapped using it. Plan B if you really want to know your profile exactly is to use RO water. You can either install your own system or go to a big box store (e.g. Super Walmart) and buy it. I have a couple of 5 gal plastic water cooler jugs that I refill for $.37/gal. Then you can use Bru'nWater and customize your own water profile for each brew.

Back