new guy here, quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a bad kit - but I would for sure add the auto-siphon....

You'll also need a big pot, some sanitizer, and you should be good to go!

Typical beginners kit. They are pretty much all the same.

I would add a thief and auto siphon and you have yourself a nice little kit.

Hi guys, I just discovered that there is a place near my work that sells all the supplies needed to get into home brewing. I'd been kicking the idea around for a while. Anywho, anybody have any thoughts on this as a beginners kit??

the first one on the top of that link is then one I was interested in.

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopstartkitbeer.asp

Looks like a pretty decent kit. I would get the floating thermometer and the thief as well. What are you going to brew first?

+1

Also, if you plan on expanding your skills as a brewer or trying different methods (e.g. starting at extract brewing and going to all-grain) I would recommend getting a large kettle now so you have the ability to boil large amounts of wort in the future instead of having to buy a separate pot. You don't always have to buy kettles at brew stores; you might find good deals at kitchen shops.

Make sure you get the 1/2" Autosiphon...really makes a big difference in transfer time.

One more suggestion--grab the larger thief. It takes only a few dips to get a good amount of beer instead of a crapload with the tiny one.

You can also drop your hydrometer down in the thief and take the reading right in there instead of using the hydrometer case to do it. Much simpler!

ive also been thinking about a kit or just piecing together the stuff. Mostly because Im not planning on botteling as ive got a good stash of Grolsh flip tops and I plan to keg it i keep with it.

Q - would it be better to buy the equiptment kit and have the extras or just get what i want?

Thanks!

(I plan to start with an american brown but thinking ill end up doing a lot of stouts)

ive also been thinking about a kit or just piecing together the stuff. Mostly because Im not planning on botteling as ive got a good stash of Grolsh flip tops and I plan to keg it i keep with it.

Q - would it be better to buy the equiptment kit and have the extras or just get what i want?

Thanks!

(I plan to start with an american brown but thinking ill end up doing a lot of stouts)

I'm a little confused. You say you aren't bottling but you have a stash of flip top bottles. And you will start kegging if you stick with brewing. What will you be doing for you first batch, keg or flip top?

If you keg 100% of your beer, the only thing you don't need in that kit is the bottle filler and capper. Everything else you would need. It still might be more expensive to piece out the stuff you need. You can usually find good deals on kits.

Thanks!

I personally feel its better to get what I want.

I'm a little confused. You say you aren't bottling but you have a stash of flip top bottles. And you will start kegging if you stick with brewing. What will you be doing for you first batch, keg or flip top?

If you keg 100% of your beer, the only thing you don't need in that kit is the bottle filler and capper. Everything else you would need. It still might be more expensive to piece out the stuff you need. You can usually find good deals on kits.

Sorry to confuse! I ment to say that I plan to start with the flip-top bottles and not cap. Then if I stick with brewing Ill get a keg set up.

Just not sold on getting extra stuff that I dont need.
Thanks for the input!

mux11 said:
Sorry to confuse! I ment to say that I plan to start with the flip-top bottles and not cap. Then if I stick with brewing Ill get a keg set up.

Just not sold on getting extra stuff that I dont need.
Thanks for the input!

If you never cap, the only thing you don't need in that kit is the capper. Go to your LHBS and price it out. I assume the kit will be cheaper.

Having a capped is nice. Just in case you want to bottle a 6 or 12 pack to bring somewhere

I agree that a capper is nice; especially if you want to bring your beer into a competition. But he can also get away with using growlers after the beer is carbed.

FensterBos said:
I agree that a capper is nice; especially if you want to bring your beer into a competition. But he can also get away with using growlers after the beer is carbed.

This is true. I was just merely saying that the kit with a capper still might be a little cheaper than if he bought everything in the kit individually

Back