New guy from WA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eighty2Fifty1

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm James. Currently in Oak Harbor, WA, but from Lincoln, NE. I got into homebrewing in February, so far I've run 10 5-gal batches of extract-based beer. I built this kegerator shortly after bottling my first batch.
254023_229807563696317_228004893876584_997661_5306298_n.jpg
253833_229807580362982_228004893876584_997662_3452378_n.jpg
As you can see, it's got room for growth. I can get at least 5 Corny's in there, but I only have 3 and only one of them has beer in it right now.

My plan is to branch out from doing the kits I've been getting from the local brew supply store, and probably move up to all-grain at the end of the summer. I'd like to build one of those high-end electric brew setups one of these days. Funny, this is actually the cheapest hobby I think I've ever had. Compared to Jeeps, guns, snowboarding, and guitars, I've put less than $1000 into my equipment and I think I've gotten the most satisfaction out of it.

Amen! Same here love this new found hobby, got started this past year but don't have near the equipment you have yet. Nice setup you got with the kegerator, been looking around at fridges to convert but think for now with cost just continue going with reusing coors mini kegs with co2 cartridges.

You can also do partial extracts, that's what I am doing currently tried one all grain batch and although made decent beer "Cream o' 3 grains" was a horrible mess and need to upgrade brewing equipment next time.

If you haven't yet try buying specialty grains, or even some base grains and add to the extracts makes a very good beer IMO. I have a prehopped cooper's aus pale ale that I added some 2 row and biscuit to with extra cascade hops. Have to see how it comes out, but the stout they make is quite enjoyable.

Yeah, when I get a new hobby I have a tendency to go a little overboard with it right away... I was thinking about upgrading to partial mash, too. The owners of the brew store in Anacortes actually prefer that technique, so they say. The way I understand it, I still need the AG equipment to do so, and i'd definitely need to upgrade my kettle if I'm gonna do a 5 gal boil. I was looking at the keggle buildups, and I'll probably do that, since I'm assuming that would be compatible with a high-end brew sculpture type setup. Just another excuse to buy more toys!

You can also convert a cooler into a mash tun, seems a little rudimentary if you are not familiar but even the experts like this method for a multitude of reasons (stable mash temps, ease and efficiency of sparging, etc.)

Back