New guy from Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finster

Reaction score
Ive been hanging around this forum for about a month so I thought Id introduce myself. Im Aaron. Im an Industrial mechanic at John Deere by trade. I started brewing about a year and a half ago, but haven't been able to brew anything in a few months. With this big push for ethenol right now they have me workin seven days a week. :(
Ive always been fairly familiar with the alcohol making prossess. My gramps made sake and wine. The old man used to brew root beer. Real root beer with sasafrass root, not extract.(not alcohol I know but the prossess is more or less the same.)
This site is awsome. Learned a lot in the few weeks Ive been looking around. A keggle, for example. I never knew such a thing existed and now I want one.:D
Now Im really looking forward to getting the brew pot fired back up.
Am I the only one here from Iowa by the way?

Hi Aaron, Joe from Jersey here. This is a great site. There are a lot of knowledgeable and innovative people here. I have been brewing for about five years and have learned so much from this site. By the way, my mother said my grandfather made his own rootbeer too.

Thats actually what got me started in brewing. I was wanting to resorect one of my pops old recipes but I couldnt find any sasafrass root. Did an internet search and but still couldnt find any. Something about a chemical in the root that causes cancer. But what doesnt now a days. Anyway what I did find was Beer extract. Even better.

welcome to hbt. I hope you get some time to brew soon. There's folks from just about any place you can think of here. It won't be long before you hear from someone from Iowa.

Welcome! This really is a fantastic site. I've learned a ton in just a few months.

I'm not in IA, but I did go to college there (Grinnell). Does that count? :)

Welcome! My company has all of our IT infrastructure in Davenport. Never been to Iowa but I'd love to come visit.

homebrewer_99 said:
Get a trip out here...we have 2 brew pubs...;)...Bent River Brewing and Blue Cat (fish type...) Brew Pub...

*cough* Front Street *cough*...

although the others are probably better.

Hey - Finster4,

Where are you at home-wise? I'm in Des Moines. (East Side - Pleasant Hill) I assume you work in the Ankeny area. Right???

Anyhow - HERE'S A BIG IOWA Welcome!!!

:mug:

Down in Fort Madison here. Just celebrated my first year of brewing last week, 80 gals. done. Used to be in the Civil Air Patrol so I traveled a lot around the state for that. I hope to get to DSM soon to check out the pubs there. Was in the QC last year a couple of times. The pubs there are more hop friendly than ours here in FTM. I'm sure I'll be up in the IC and CR area late spring/early summer. I want to check out CR's brew pub (sports pub?) and of course stop by John's Grocery and Old Capitol in IC.
Heading over to Peoria Apr 12 for the International Beer Festival. Members of my brew club, Burlington MOB (Makers Of Beer) and myself are giving some of our brews out. We'll also be at the Iowa Beer Festival ia Amana during the fall. That is a good time!

Finster4, I live north of Iowa city. I am fairly new to brewing started this past year. This website is great, all these brewers have helped me alot.

Latest posts

Back