New grain mill - proper settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whysomalty

Reaction score
Greetings,
I purchased a new grain mill and I’m attempting to dial in the settings. Please have a look at the photo and see if you’d qualify this as proper?
Thanks!
Dan

Attachments

• 1210CA1B-67BD-452C-B0E8-40EB080E4C34.jpeg
    1210CA1B-67BD-452C-B0E8-40EB080E4C34.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • 80E27174-EF3C-4E6D-BE33-FC01B9658ABC.jpeg
    80E27174-EF3C-4E6D-BE33-FC01B9658ABC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 105
Hard to tell looking at the pics, but it appears that some of the kernels are still whole. You want the husks to remain in tact but no whole kernels. If you're doing BIAB, >025 to .030 is a pretty good starting point. If doing conventional mash then about .035, which you can measure with a credit card, has worked well for me.

Thanks Bob,

Running conventional mash - I may just run it through the mill again. I put everything together, including some wheat malt, which I usually run through twice anyway.

Running conventional mash - I may just run it through the mill again. I put everything together, including some wheat malt, which I usually run through twice anyway.

Just a heads up - running grain through twice doesn't make up for not using a tighter gap setting. Wheat is smaller than barley and without tightening the gap up it likely won't get crushed much and depending on your gap setting if at all. Many here use a gap setting of .024 for wheat and .030 - .034 for barley.

Rev.

see if you’d qualify this as proper?
That's too coarse, contains uncrushed kernels.

Do what the others said, tighten that gap, at least to down to 0.034" (credit card), possibly tighter.
Small kernels like wheat, rye, flaked goods, etc. should ideally be crushed on their own gap of 0.024-0.028". I do.

As others have said, tighten your gap...it will likely take a bit of trial and error to hit your sweet spot (efficiency vs. risk of stuck mash). I always condition my malt before I mill and that seems to help with preserving relatively in-tact husks for lautering and cutting down on dust from milling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back