New flip top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
My wife found these bottles at the local grocery store (they originally had carbonated lemonade in them). They lids are plastic with non-removable gaskets. I'm going to try using one or two next time I bottle and see how well they hold a seal. I'm thinking that they may not last as long as regular bottles since the seals are fixed.

Anyone else come across something similar?

IMG_20150606_095746793_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150606_095804899_HDR.jpg

Seen similar bottles at a store called "hobby lobby"
Decided to pass because they were 5-6 bux per.

I have a case of them. I got mine from an Aldi supermarket. The lemonade was pretty good too. I haven't used them yet, but I think they will hold pressure just fine as the lemonade that was in them was carbonated. Evena after a few days, the lemonade never became flat.

I got them for a pale ale I'm going to do. I found an old recipe for an Edwardian style pale ale and thought these bottles might give it more of that old turn of the (20th) century look and feel to them.

Note: A case of these were cheaper than getting swing tops from Northern and other places, plus the bottles are bigger too (25oz vs 16)

Only concern I would have is the clear glass. Your beer can become light struck and turn skunky if you are not careful.

I keg all my beers and bottle from them, so I should be good there. As soon as I bottle a few they go straight into the fridge.

Last edited:
I keg all my beers and bottle from them, so I should be good there. As soon as I bought a few they go straight into the fridge.

Should be good to go then. I bottle into swing tops to take to my brother's house for gatherings and never have any problems. :rockin:

I have a porter in one of these now, formerly "french lemonade" from world market.
Was gonna gift it so I won't know the end result, but I'm sure it will hold pressure just fine.

I have a porter in one of these now, formerly "french lemonade" from world market.
Was gonna gift it so I won't know the end result, but I'm sure it will hold pressure just fine.

I saw those at Cost Plus too and they were only like $3.99. I think I'll pick a couple up. They had a few flavors - I think all were french sodas of some sort.

I used some of these on some apfelwein that i carbonated to 2.5 volumes. They seeped apfelwein out while they were stored on their side. I quit using them. If you can get replaceable tops id bet you will be set.

I also have a few of these from world market. I havent used them yet though. I was thinking about somehow making them darker or something before I used them. Not sure how though since I'm sure it would chip off after time.

They are my back up bottles and have performed very well.
We have bought them from often from Marshall's clearance isles, not because of brewing, but because the family likes the lemonade.

I'm going to try one when I bottle some Graff in a couple weeks. They will definitely be stored in the dark until I refrigerate them.

If you still able to use them, I would just use the boxes the bottles came in. Mine had lemonade in them, so I had to throw away the boxes as the fronts were cut open for those who wanted to buy singles.

I plan on making a wooden crate for mine. For now, a simple milk crate is good enough for storing.

Back