New Fermonsters came scratched in exact same location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyE

Reaction score
I ordered my first Fermonster, a ported 7 gal, and it arrived with a deep scratch near the port (on outside, above-right of the port). Morebeer agreed to exchange it, and the replacement has exactly the same scratch, just not quite as deep. Anyone else get one like this? They shipped from different states (CA and PA). I asked to replace the first because I worried about the scratch nucleating a crack. I’m torn on whether to try yet again, return the thing entirely and go a different direction, or just accept it as typical and not an actual problem.

CFB12E7F-D702-45BE-9654-23EB8F94E5E6.jpeg

It's got to be an issue with Vintage Shop's manufacturing line. I had a PET carboy (same manufacturer) come to me exactly like that. Same scratch, same position. I kept it, use it often.

Same here order one with the same scratch and location contacted the company they replaced it for free, the second one didn't have the scratch. I have used mine so far with no issues. I would contact them again and let them know....but in my opinion if the scratch isn't on the inside and you aren't using it under pressure you should be fine

The scratch right in the lip of the opening where the spigot goes looks concerning. Maybe the one higher up sucks, but maybe not a big deal. But that one at the spigot hole looks like it goes all the way through. You might have leak or cleaning/sanitation problems.

I have 4 fermonsters, two of which have the same scratch as your replacement, and I've been using them for a few years without any issues.

The scratch right in the lip of the opening where the spigot goes looks concerning. Maybe the one higher up sucks, but maybe not a big deal. But that one at the spigot hole looks like it goes all the way through. You might have leak or cleaning/sanitation problems.
It’s actually not a scratch or crack. It is a crease mark that must be from the mold they use. I tested the seal of the spigot briefly last night and had no drips, but I plan to fill it full and leave it a couple days just to be sure it doesn’t cause an issue.

I have 4 fermonsters, two of which have the same scratch as your replacement, and I've been using them for a few years without any issues.
Thanks, good to hear. I am curious if the BMBs have similar QC issues. I went with the fermonster over the BMB because the lid is plug and play with my cooling coil setup (#10 stopper).

Thanks, good to hear. I am curious if the BMBs have similar QC issues. I went with the fermonster over the BMB because the lid is plug and play with my cooling coil setup (#10 stopper).
BMB have a whole other set of issues, mainly the lids do not seal reliably. IMO you made a good choice with fermonster. Wouldn't trade mine for anything short of stainless conicals.

sorry your fermonster is arriving damaged. they really are wonderful fermentors, just pay close attention to the gasket that goes under the lid. ive had a few occasions where i had small air leaks. didnt impact the beer but there was no airlock activity.

Back