New England IPA New England Style TIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the insight. I love the Citra/Galaxy combo. I'll be brewing tomorrow and I'll check in with an update of the finished product. Cheers!
Did the beer finish up yet? If so, how did it go?

Sounds like an awesome recipe. I have such easy access, so i might have to give it a crack.
Since you’re from NZ you’ll appreciate the label and name of this beer
DCE86958-5614-4E30-B87C-A591C84AE6A0.jpeg
D73C284B-00AB-4FDA-B20E-6E8C183DA453.jpeg

Did the beer finish up yet? If so, how did it go?
Actually kegged it up this past Sunday and can't wait to try it carbed. I wanted to wait a couple of weeks to let everything settle in the keg, especially with the Galaxy and Idaho 7 dry hop, but I'm tempted to try some out this weekend.

Couldn't wait, so I tapped the keg today and it's fantastic!!! The Riwaka really stands out, I love the fleshy, tropical fruit rind character I get from it and the back end has the dankness from the Columbus. I'm honestly surprised that there isn't any hop burn from the Galaxy and Idaho 7 after only being in the keg for 5 days.
I tried to get a good picture, but the sun was hit or miss today in Syracuse haha, so I'll post one sometime this weekend.
Thanks for all the help @Dgallo!!

Couldn't wait, so I tapped the keg today and it's fantastic!!! The Riwaka really stands out, I love the fleshy, tropical fruit rind character I get from it and the back end has the dankness from the Columbus. I'm honestly surprised that there isn't any hop burn from the Galaxy and Idaho 7 after only being in the keg for 5 days.
I tried to get a good picture, but the sun was hit or miss today in Syracuse haha, so I'll post one sometime this weekend.
Thanks for all the help @Dgallo!!
Im glad it came out good so far. You switched out Nelson/Citra with galaxy/I7 correct? I love both of those hops so please keep me post after 2 weeks it so when the beer conditions a tad. I’m really interested to see what notes they bring.

what was you abv btw?

Here’s my pineapple milkshake DIPA (only hit 9% abv as my efficiency unexpectedly dropped):
172B44D4-321C-4763-83B0-5E9C504EC9BE.jpeg

Don’t get very much pineapple, but there is a nice tropical vibe going on (used 1 vanilla bean and I don’t really like what it’s contributing, probably will stop using it going forward).

Here’s my pineapple milkshake DIPA (only hit 9% abv as my efficiency unexpectedly dropped):
View attachment 683298

Don’t get very much pineapple, but there is a nice tropical vibe going on (used 1 vanilla bean and I don’t really like what it’s contributing, probably will stop using it going forward).
Looks great man. I get crap efficiency on big grain bills and I don’t want to boil for 90 minutes to increase the water volume to increase it.

Did you make a tincture with the vanilla or just toss it in? I’ve been making tinctures for the vanilla because the two times I used the beans directly in the fermenter I feel like yeast does something and add like a molasses’s type note to it but not in a good way

Looks great man. I get crap efficiency on big grain bills and I don’t want to boil for 90 minutes to increase the water volume to increase it.

Did you make a tincture with the vanilla or just toss it in? I’ve been making tinctures for the vanilla because the two times I used the beans directly in the fermenter I feel like yeast does something and add like a molasses’s type note to it but not in a good way

Tincture. I buy beans 10 at a time and keep them in vodka until needed. Used 10 mL from 10 beans in 120 mL on this batch.

Im glad it came out good so far. You switched out Nelson/Citra with galaxy/I7 correct? I love both of those hops so please keep me post after 2 weeks it so when the beer conditions a tad. I’m really interested to see what notes they bring.

what was you abv btw?
Ended up at 9.54%. I also went with a grain bill to try and get closer to the srm of Trillium's Max Headroom. Thanks for all of the help with the hop schedule and everything. The extra time in the keg has definitely done the beer right.

Attachments

• 20200604_172004.jpg
    20200604_172004.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
Perfect timing @Dgallo as I'm planning a TIPA soon. Was planning to do your Cashmere/Amarillo/Sabro/Citra when I get my order from Yakima but might use this hop bill as my TIPA. Do you reckon this would work? Have some Columbus that I can use for bittering.

Also what do you find the benefits of malted oats over flaked oats are? I used malted recently in a Belgian Tripel and thought they were a nightmare to mill because they were so small and I didn't want to change my mill settings for one grain. I use flaked in all my neipas and find them great but always open to improvements.

Perfect timing @Dgallo as I'm planning a TIPA soon. Was planning to do your Cashmere/Amarillo/Sabro/Citra when I get my order from Yakima but might use this hop bill as my TIPA. Do you reckon this would work? Have some Columbus that I can use for bittering.

Also what do you find the benefits of malted oats over flaked oats are? I used malted recently in a Belgian Tripel and thought they were a nightmare to mill because they were so small and I didn't want to change my mill settings for one grain. I use flaked in all my neipas and find them great but always open to improvements.
So I think the hop combo will work great, you’ll have to up the amounts though. Find out what you oz of hops per Gravity units are for your typical double recipe and then scale it for the larger gravity beer.

malted oats vs flaked in this case is more about efficiency.Your efficiency will drop in a big grain bill and flaked oats will drop it even lower verses using malted oats. I personally would suggest using malted verses flaked but if you really enjoy what flaked brings, just make sure you have some DME Incase you miss you’re numbers.

So I think the hop combo will work great, you’ll have to up the amounts though. Find out what you oz of hops per Gravity units are for your typical double recipe and then scale it for the larger gravity beer.

malted oats vs flaked in this case is more about efficiency.Your efficiency will drop in a big grain bill and flaked oats will drop it even lower verses using malted oats. I personally would suggest using malted verses flaked but if you really enjoy what flaked brings, just make sure you have some DME Incase you miss you’re numbers.
Thanks Dgallo. I must get my Yakima order in asap so. I'm at around 16oz dry hop and 6.5oz whirlpool so think that should be ok. I'm starting to experiment with dry hopping loose so i'm hoping to get better extraction from using hop spiders. I brew in a Grainfather so will have to do a reiterated mash. Have done this once for an Imperial Stout and hit 72% efficiency so will aim for that but will have some DME if needed. Looking forward to brewing this even though it will be a long brew day.

I just finished fermenting this. OG was 1.094 and FG 1.020 using my 3 year old strain of 1318 :)

I also swapped the Riwaka and Nelson for Mosaic and El Dorado. The gravity sample was surprisingly dank, but it tasted like it will be a upper tier TIPA once finished. That overripe sweetness I get from TIPAs was spot on.

Will report back once it's ready to drink.

Alright, I had to crack a bottle. Maybe a little early because it's a tad undercarbonated, but holy crap this is good. Honestly I cannot think of a commercial TIPA I've had that is better.

The crazy thing is it has transformed COMPLETELY from the gravity sample. I've been brewing these IPA's for years, and I've never had a beer transform as much as this.

In the gravity sample it was super dank, to the point where I was a little disappointed (I like dank, but prefer fruit to be the dominant flavor). After carbonating, the dank is mostly gone and it's a overripe tropical fruit bomb. I have no idea how it could change that much, except from biotransformation while carbonating? I have no idea for sure, but it's the only explanation I have.

Thanks for the recipe!

20200612_170618.jpg

Alright, I had to crack a bottle. Maybe a little early because it's a tad undercarbonated, but holy crap this is good. Honestly I cannot think of a commercial TIPA I've had that is better.

The crazy thing is it has transformed COMPLETELY from the gravity sample. I've been brewing these IPA's for years, and I've never had a beer transform as much as this.

In the gravity sample it was super dank, to the point where I was a little disappointed (I like dank, but prefer fruit to be the dominant flavor). After carbonating, the dank is mostly gone and it's a overripe tropical fruit bomb. I have no idea how it could change that much, except from biotransformation while carbonating? I have no idea for sure, but it's the only explanation I have.

Thanks for the recipe!

View attachment 684726
Awesome man! I’m going to guess it’s the mosiac. I’ve had heavily hopped mosaic beers go froM dank earth to blueberry/mango/citrus bombs in a week or more.

Brewed this on Saturday and it’s happily fermenting away as we speak. Can’t wait for this to be ready!

Thanks for the recipe @Dgallo ! I'm planning on brewing a DIPA at around 1.082 OG this week that is based loosely on this and a few other recipes/threads, and I was wondering what people would recommend for yeast pitch rates with higher ABV beers in this style? I know that under pitching can help to boost the ester profile, but I'm wondering whether that is still a good idea when the ABV starts getting up there, or if that increases the risk of under attenuation? Does the higher alcohol and longer fermentation provide enough stress to get those esters without trying to under pitch?

I have a pack of WY1318 from 2/20/2020 that I'm planning to use (calculators put this somewhere between 20-45% viability) and debating whether I need to make a full stir plate starter to get the highest cell counts, or whether a 1L starter using the shaken-not-stirred method & pitching at high krausen would be sufficient? I'll be fermenting in a 5 gallon keg, so will only have ~4.25 gallons of wort to ferment.

Thanks for the recipe @Dgallo ! I'm planning on brewing a DIPA at around 1.082 OG this week that is based loosely on this and a few other recipes/threads, and I was wondering what people would recommend for yeast pitch rates with higher ABV beers in this style? I know that under pitching can help to boost the ester profile, but I'm wondering whether that is still a good idea when the ABV starts getting up there, or if that increases the risk of under attenuation? Does the higher alcohol and longer fermentation provide enough stress to get those esters without trying to under pitch?

I have a pack of WY1318 from 2/20/2020 that I'm planning to use (calculators put this somewhere between 20-45% viability) and debating whether I need to make a full stir plate starter to get the highest cell counts, or whether a 1L starter using the shaken-not-stirred method & pitching at high krausen would be sufficient? I'll be fermenting in a 5 gallon keg, so will only have ~4.25 gallons of wort to ferment.
Under pitching is fine with a bigger beer you just need to make sure you are calculating the pitch rate Correctly. Pitch rate should always be proportional to the gravity and volume.

Using the info you provided here would be your current pitch rate, no starter
C7CB28EE-6AB0-41AC-A474-2C8B4C4C06A3.png

If you want to target a .6mc/ml/p* pitch rate, this is the starter you’ll need
6C9F2BB4-8D40-4E98-902C-776E40303E1A.png

Last edited:
@Dgallo Thanks for sharing this recipe. It’s been a while since I lurked around on here and I was specifically looking for a no flaked grain NEIPA Grist.... this was the first post I clicked on. I will post my recipe once I get it worked out and discuss the results with everyone! Thank you!!

Having my first real concern with a fermentation since I started brewing (going on 4 years now). Brewed this up (on 6/12) and hit all my numbers - hit 153 F on the mash and held just fine. Captured an OG of 1.092 and pitched a healthy (aka huge starter) of Wyeast 1318, since I absolutely love this strain. I've made some stronger batches and used this yeast and have generally got down to the 1.014 range nearly every time, or ~75% attenuation.

I checked gravity last Thursday (6/18) and it was at 1.03, so clearly moving along fairly well. Problem now is it's slowed considerably. I checked again on Sunday (6/21) and it was at 1.028, freaked out and pitched even more healthy 1318 yeast on it to try and move it along, only to check yesterday (6/23) and its still at 1.027. I guess I'm close to 70% attenuation, which isnt crazy low for this strain, just lower than any experience I've had. Worried that if this stalls at 1.026 it's going to be too sweet. Anyone have experience with this style and having an FG finish at 1.026+? Should I calm the F down and see if it gets closer to my predicted 1.02-1.021? It's been 12 days and my experience with this yeast is that it finishes in a week or less typically, which has sparked my freak out I believe.

Thanks!

Having my first real concern with a fermentation since I started brewing (going on 4 years now). Brewed this up (on 6/12) and hit all my numbers - hit 153 F on the mash and held just fine. Captured an OG of 1.092 and pitched a healthy (aka huge starter) of Wyeast 1318, since I absolutely love this strain. I've made some stronger batches and used this yeast and have generally got down to the 1.014 range nearly every time, or ~75% attenuation.

I checked gravity last Thursday (6/18) and it was at 1.03, so clearly moving along fairly well. Problem now is it's slowed considerably. I checked again on Sunday (6/21) and it was at 1.028, freaked out and pitched even more healthy 1318 yeast on it to try and move it along, only to check yesterday (6/23) and its still at 1.027. I guess I'm close to 70% attenuation, which isnt crazy low for this strain, just lower than any experience I've had. Worried that if this stalls at 1.026 it's going to be too sweet. Anyone have experience with this style and having an FG finish at 1.026+? Should I calm the F down and see if it gets closer to my predicted 1.02-1.021? It's been 12 days and my experience with this yeast is that it finishes in a week or less typically, which has sparked my freak out I believe.

Thanks!
What generation was the original yeast?

Did you use the dextrose in the recipe or did you only use grains?

Also there is always the chance that your thermometer read a degree or two low and you were actual mashing at 155ish. If that happened you most likely extracted slightly more unfermentable sugars

First generation. For some more context, I brew 10 gal batches and put about 13 gallons into the fermenter to hopefully yield my 10 into my kegs. I calculated a yeast cell count required of ~812 billion and pitched around 1 trillion (I consider underpitching for esters, but was worried about what is happening - happening).

Yep - used 2lbs of dextrose last 10 mins of boil.

It's possible it could be slightly off, but I check every brew day using multiple thermometers and have never had this problem. Again, not impossible, just not seemingly likely.

I think I'm going to let it ride to Saturday, check again and just go from there. My plan was to dry hop using the soft crash, raise back to mid 60s for a few days for dry hop, then cold crash again once I hit my FG. I may do that starting Saturday now if it doesnt move. FYI - it tastes/smells wonderful, just going to be an absolute filler/gas bomb if I cant get it down any more.

Thanks for the feedback @Dgallo :)

@breweer no problem man. You could always not soft crashing And let the hop creep occur to get your fg down. Either way I think you’ll be fine in the end, might just be a bit heavier on the pallet than intended

@breweer no problem man. You could always not soft crashing And let the hop creep occur to get your fg down. Either way I think you’ll be fine in the end, might just be a bit heavier on the pallet than intended
This is why I came here! I didnt consider going ahead and dry hopping now to help get the FG down, I was stubborn (thanks to some of the other information you've shared) about testing this new dry hop technique. I'd much prefer to do that when the time is right and help get this beer closer to where I thought it'd be, at least in my mind. Thanks again!

Just an update - Beer finished up at around 1.024 - ending up around 9% (~70% attenuation with 1318). Transferred to kegs last night, heres a snapshot. Definitely needs some time to settle into itself (hopefully over the next week or two!)

68TrjFC.jpg

Just an update - Beer finished up at around 1.024 - ending up around 9% (~70% attenuation with 1318). Transferred to kegs last night, heres a snapshot. Definitely needs some time to settle into itself (hopefully over the next week or two!)

68TrjFC.jpg
Color looks pretty spot on! In my experience with my TIPAS, it took 21-28 days from brew day for them to really hit the prime. You might not have to wait as long with the abv being a little lower

Last edited:
I have to say this looks amazing. Based on the nearly 23# grain bill, I think I'd have to scale it down a bit to fit in my 10.25G kettle. I am still a bit of a newbie and this one looks like an advanced batch, I may need to stash this one for a later date once I feel more comfortable. Still, I am dying to try one of these NEIPAs as they have become my latest obsession. I haven't priced it out yet but I bet this is an expensive one!

Thanks for the recipe Dgallo. Might try and give it a go next brew, albeit with a bit of a simplified hop bill (in variety, not volume).

Do you have any suggestions for replacing the malted oats? They're hard to come by here, so i guess i'd be looking either at flaked oats or some more base malt?

Thanks for the recipe Dgallo. Might try and give it a go next brew, albeit with a bit of a simplified hop bill (in variety, not volume).

Do you have any suggestions for replacing the malted oats? They're hard to come by here, so i guess i'd be looking either at flaked oats or some more base malt?
It’s hard to replace them with a perfect equivalent. if a LHBS doesnt have malted oats, that means they tend not to carry grains with smaller kernels so that they don’t have to adjust their grain mill.

depending on your system, You could switch it to flaked oats but for me that would cause a drop in efficiency so I’d have to up my base malt. Maybe try

Grain bill
17lbs - Pilsner
2lbs - flaked oats or barley
4lbs - White Wheat
0.75lb - Honey Malt
1lb - dextrose

Last edited:
Hey bud, I'm going to give this recipe (with different hops based on whatever smells good from my freezer) a shot sometime next week! How long do you do your whirlpool?

Hey bud, I'm going to give this recipe (with different hops based on whatever smells good from my freezer) a shot sometime next week! How long do you do your whirlpool?
I try to hold the temp for 40 mins then turn on the chiller.

let me know how it goes.

Do what works for you brother. It’s going to be good either way. A shorter wh may not even make a difference. My wh time Has been like this for a while, even prior to adjusting my dh practices. Once I had my beers dialed in I never went back to see if I could cut the wh time and still produce the same quality beer lol

Last edited:
This sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to have to give this a try.

I forgot to post an update on this one, but the beer turned out great. My efficiency sucked so it only ended up just north of 9%, but I am fine with that. I also used pale malt instead of pilsner (which is why the beer looks a little darker in the pic) and different hops based on what I had in the freezer.

I entered it into the Lehigh Valley Homebrewers "malt madness" competition, and it scored a 38 and took first in the category...it's a winner!
20200920_130746.jpg

I forgot to post an update on this one, but the beer turned out great. My efficiency sucked so it only ended up just north of 9%, but I am fine with that. I also used pale malt instead of pilsner (which is why the beer looks a little darker in the pic) and different hops based on what I had in the freezer.

I entered it into the Lehigh Valley Homebrewers "malt madness" competition, and it scored a 38 and took first in the category...it's a winner!View attachment 700082
Looks great brother! And congrats on the win!

Back