New England IPA (w/Cloudwater)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
found this recipe and was wondering if anyone has tried it/is it any good?
1648728888755.png

NEW ENGLAND IPA (W/CLOUDWATER)

VERMONT IPA. IPA

• ABV 6.8%
  • IBU 45.0
  • OG 1065.0
THIS BEER IS

BrewDog vs Cloudwater is a 6.8% Vermont-style India Pale Ale, hopped with Mosaic in the whirlpool only. Without any big- hitting additions of hops in the boil, we carried the flavor by heavily dry-hopping the brew with Citra and Mosaic. We also used oats in the recipe to deliver the trademark smooth mouthfeel – and made it truly authentic by propagating a one-off culture of Vermont yeast, specifically for the brew.

BASICS

VOLUME20L5.3gal
BOIL VOLUME25L6.6gal
ABV6.8%
Target FG1012.0
Target OG1065.0
EBC17.0
SRM9.0
PH4.2
ATTENUATION LEVEL81.54%
METHOD/TIMINGS

MASH TEMP

68°C154.4°F75mins
FERMENTATION

18°C64°F
INGREDIENTS

MALT

Propino Pale3.40kg7.5lbs
Torrified Wheat0.39kg0.9lbs
Flaked Oats0.56kg1.2lbs
HOPS
(g)
Add
Attribute
Mosaic33.0gWhirlpoolAroma
Citra83.0gDry HopAroma
Mosaic83.0gDry HopAroma
YEAST Vermont Ale (WLP4000)

Bear in mind that so much of what took Cloudwater to second in the Ratebeer ratings is process, rather than recipe, and this has relatively little on the process that they're using. Also this is very much a recipe that's been cut-down to make it cheap enough for selling in supermarkets, which is why it "only" has 10g/l of hops rather than the 25g/l that Cloudwater typically use these days. This blog has rather more detail, particularly in the linked Google sheet :

https://cloudwaterbrew.co/blog/2018/4/30/how-far-we-have-come

Bear in mind that so much of what took Cloudwater to second in the Ratebeer ratings is process, rather than recipe, and this has relatively little on the process that they're using. Also this is very much a recipe that's been cut-down to make it cheap enough for selling in supermarkets, which is why it "only" has 10g/l of hops rather than the 25g/l that Cloudwater typically use these days. This blog has rather more detail, particularly in the linked Google sheet :

https://cloudwaterbrew.co/blog/2018/4/30/how-far-we-have-come
So ur saying this probably isn’t a good recipe to follow?

So ur saying this probably isn’t a good recipe to follow?

I'm saying that decision depends entirely on what your objective is, and on how much experience you have. I don't know either of those things.

I would say that a lot of people think that a recipe is all you need to replicate a beer, when process is at least as important, particularly for NEIPAs, they are challenging beers to do well. The Brewdog recipes are notorious for leaving out a lot of process details. You may find something like Braufessor's recipe more helpful, as it has more background - and there's lots of good advice throughout that big NEIPA thread on HBT.

In that case, at least start with Braufessor's recipe - you'll benefit a lot from his experience. And most people have moved on from the Conan family like WLP4000, these days 1318 London Ale III is the best yeast to start with - or its dried derivative, Lallemand Verdant. When you're starting out it's no bad thing to have at least some aspects that are just reliable safe bets, and 1318/Verdant is that.

I'm also looking at creating a new NE IPA recipe and just was curious what type of oats/wheats/malts are desirable? I'm trying to familiarize myself with the grist ratios.

I like my neipa color light, and typically use 40% Weyermann pilsner malt (SRM 1.7), 40% Golden Promise (SRM 2.0), 10% Oat malt (SRM 1.0) and 10% White Wheat malt (SRM ~2.2). I use this same malt combination for many neipas that are only different due to their hop strains...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back