New England Grain Buy December 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late post, but is anyone interested in buying a few more bags of grain? I have some 2Row and Marris Otter from the last buy that I'm not going to use, as well as some other splits.

Will post details soon, I'll sell $5 under "face" value (from this buy).

I'll be down at the buy picking up a bucket of PBW, so we can exchange there.

Thanks!

Is this still available? If so, please send me a pm. Thanks!

Sorry for the late post, but is anyone interested in buying a few more bags of grain? I have some 2Row and Marris Otter from the last buy that I'm not going to use, as well as some other splits.

Will post details soon, I'll sell $5 under "face" value (from this buy).

I'll be down at the buy picking up a bucket of PBW, so we can exchange there.

Thanks!

Love to buy some Maris Otter if you are still selling (at fair price, not under.)

Most likely the last one was it. Someone at a LHBS whined to brewcraft about our buy. So I don't want to jeopardize my ability to by from CMG. Long story short I think that for now the buys are over.

Well that sucks. Assuming it is the store North of the city I will not be going back there. Guess it is time to try the lhbs in Salem NH.

Well good news for me since that store is close...but still sucks about the buy. Can anyone else take over the buy or is your relationship the only reason we were able to do it in the first place?

Just an FYI the store is in the Boston Metro but not located in Cambridge. I am sure that you can figure it out from there.

So this guy was pissed off because he felt these grain buys were taking away business from him.....think he failed to realize that most of us still may have used his business for specialty grains, hops, yeast (those things we typically don't purchase in bulk). I think it would be fair to say now that none of us will be purchasing anything from him.

In any event......thanks Donovan for keeping these going as long as you did. Glad I had a chance to participate and meet some great folks along the way (and taste some great Down The Road Brews :) )

So this guy was pissed off because he felt these grain buys were taking away business from him.....think he failed to realize that most of us still may have used his business for specialty grains, hops, yeast (those things we typically don't purchase in bulk). I think it would be fair to say now that none of us will be purchasing anything from him.

In any event......thanks Donovan for keeping these going as long as you did. Glad I had a chance to participate and meet some great folks along the way (and taste some great Down The Road Brews :) )

Ugh, exactly! What happened to free market competition?

+1 Thank you Donovan

And yes, I'd been to this particular shop a few times for some last minute things (never grain), but you can bet that I'll never be spending another dime with them again. Very short sighted

I hate when people ruin good things for others. Especially when they weren't doing any harm. It's just a sad thing. It's also pretty sad that the supplier caved because someone whined.

Dang I missed out on the last buy. Thanks for organizing this Donovan, hopefully someone else will be able to take the reins from you.

This is that store south of the Pike, right?

Thanks Donovan & everyone else who has helped organize and run these group buys. It's really a shame that some LHBS had to go and ruin it for everyone, but I understand Donovan not wanting to jeopardize Down the Road.

So which LHBS was it that complained that I can boycott them? I was looking forward to stocking up on grain this spring/summer. What other options are out there for group buys?

Can someone name the lhbs so i can contact them and let them know how much of a diservice they have done to the homebrew community

He can't name them for his own account's sake.

There are only really 3 in the area. It's not the one in Cambridge, and it's not the one North of the city.

Given that info, i think you can figure it out. Don't call and complain, that will just give Donovan a potential headache with his supplier. Simply don't support them any longer.

There are only really 3 in the area. It's not the one in Cambridge, and it's not the one North of the city.

Given that info, i think you can figure it out. Don't call and complain, that will just give Donovan a potential headache with his supplier. Simply don't support them any longer.

Ok i get it .I just hope they read this forum and see that we weren't doing it to hurt or do harm to anyone's business. Although the action they took may have

Ok i get it .I just hope they read this forum and see that we weren't doing it to hurt or do harm to anyone's business. Although the action they took may have

Boycott all LHBS's.. One bad apple ruin it for all of us... We can ruin it for all of them.. Easy peezy..

Bummer about the shutdown- I'm going to be in need this summer. This was a bit of a haul for me but totally worth it when I did it. Guess the free-market isn't as open as it seems.

QFE

Donovan has done us all a big favor by opening these up to us so please don't do anything to jeopardize his business. Make your statement with your wallet.

Hi everyone, I just stopped by to see if/when the next buy might be and am just seeing the news about getting shut down. Definitely too bad and pretty lame that we got ratted out. So I just wanted to write a quick note saying thanks to Donovan, Luther, Aslander and everyone who organized the previous buys!! Hopefully we'll find a way to continue a buy one way or another in the future.

Not sure if it's worth persuing but Valley Malt sells bulk grains at around $1.04/lb (2-Row) with a minimum order of 500 lbs.

That's significantly higher than CMG was selling it for. I guess another option would be to set up a new account with CMG and/or to not publicly mention who owns that account.

Either way, it's pretty pathetic that that LHBS felt the need to complain. Definitely lost me as a customer as well.

Unfortunately homebrewers (unless commercial brewers or homebrew shop owners) cannot open an account at CMG any longer, AFAIK.

Hi all, just to update everyone:

Donovan has been great about helping our local community and running the buys. As you have seen earlier in the thread, certain LHBS in the area do not agree with our practices and have tried to jeopardize his business account with his supplier. I know none of us in the local homebrewer community would want to see this have any adverse impact on the success of his brewery. Unfortunately for that LHBS, they have only tarnished their reputation amongst this community.

Going forward, I am pleased to say that the grain buy will continue. :mug: Donovan will be stepping back from the participation, understandly, so we do not risk his business.

Because of the possibility of this happening again, some of us have come up with a plan to guarantee that we can continue to benefit the local community without risking having a similar situation occur.

What does this mean? I will not share the exact details until we start the next buy, however I can say that the group buy will be much more focused and have some very particular rules. If you have participated in a previous buy, do not worry as you will still be welcome to join in the future ones.

Stay tuned to this thread, and we will announce the start of the next buy in the not-so-distant future.

Back