New EBIABasket system initial brew day (apologize for the long post in advance)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawgPen Brewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got the new system completed using a lot of advice from my friends on the forum. I cannot thank you for all of the guidance and information shared by our experts here on the forum and other than one small adjustment (grain basket is about 1/4" too tall and can touch the element if it is installed where a weld can hit the element) that is needed it worked exactly as I had hoped. As my brewing partner noted "We made twice as much beer with half as much effort" and it was truly an enjoyable brew day watching everything run as it is designed to run. I can't thank you enough to @brewman ! , @Bobby_M , @Jako , @mcd432 and others who guided me with their comments. I really appreciate it guys. I am in love with this system and don't really have anything I want to change or an option I wish it had.

Things that worked really well:

1.) Being able to run a full whirlpool with a stepped bottom which created the hop mountain in the center of the kettle. Please excuse the horrible narration but there is a video of this in one of the videos.
2.) Grounded Brewing Technology control panel with DSPR320 Ez-Boil controller worked flawlessly throughout the process. Need to add a whirlpool program (mash at 175 for 40 minutes) to the end of my normal batch and it will be perfect for what I need next time I run the system.
3.) Basket with a winch setup worked FLAWLESSLY and was done draining except for the smallest amount within 5 minutes after it started draining. When we lifted it out of the kettle and put it on the floor there was hardly any drops left over. Felt so much less wasteful than having a mash tun with a false bottom that we always fought to get the boil volume to the correct amount.
4.) Spike kettle, fittings, sight glass were so much fun to operate and worked perfectly throughout the process. The ability to use the pick up tubes for constant whirlpool and then to drain the kettle to the lip getting almost all the liquid out while leaving the trub and hops behind is very satisfying.
5.) Tri-clamp fittings to take everything apart for a full cleaning is awesome. We always wonder what little bits got left behind in the fittings and now there is almost nowhere for the creepy crawlies or gunk to hide.
6.) Ease of operation was so much easier and safer than having to lift a boiling kettle of wort and carry across the room over an uneven surface as we did previously. Much easier and safer which is really good considering that we "might" have a couple of drinks during the process which makes the boiling liquid even less fun.

There really is not a long list of things that I want to change other than the small adjustment to the grain basket and then it will work flawlessly and make it easier to brew beer on a more regular basis. We are going to flip the thermocouple with the element on the next run so there will be less chance that we could drop something on that small cord and cause damage to it.

Links to instagram post for videos:

First Mash:

Hop Mountain:

Attachments

• Overall system.jpg
    Overall system.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Overall.jpg
    Overall.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 118
  • System.jpg
    System.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 111
What's the basket you're using? Is it perf on the sides, or just bottom?

What's the basket you're using? Is it perf on the sides, or just bottom?

Just the bottom. I originally had it designed with mesh on the sides but after some helpful critiques from the board decided to go with it only on the bottom. Worked perfectly with a mash including 4 pounds of flakes wheat and malt in the first batch.

Just the bottom. I originally had it designed with mesh on the sides but after some helpful critiques from the board decided to go with it only on the bottom. Worked perfectly with a mash including 4 pounds of flakes wheat and malt in the first batch.

Looks like it fits nice and tight in the kettle, not too much dead space? Where did you have it made?

Looks like it fits nice and tight in the kettle, not too much dead space? Where did you have it made?

Local fab shop built it for me. Was much cheaper than having Utah Biodiesel / Arborfab make it up and send it to me. Worked out to being less than half to get it done locally.

Dead space is very low which leaves a lot of room for grain in the basket! :)

Local fab shop built it for me. Was much cheaper than having Utah Biodiesel / Arborfab make it up and send it to me. Worked out to being less than half to get it done locally.

Dead space is very low which leaves a lot of room for grain in the basket! :)
Cool. Nice set up. I have about the same kettle as you. I had it configured so I could do brew in a bag/basket in the future if I decided to. In theory I think I like the idea of the basket better than a bag (I did biab for a while).

Cool. Nice set up. I have about the same kettle as you. I had it configured so I could do brew in a bag/basket in the future if I decided to. In theory I think I like the idea of the basket better than a bag (I did biab for a while).

I just don't like trying to clean the bag even though many here seem to like them just fine. I think that part of the attraction to the basket is that it feels so solid and just does it's job. Not saying that a bag can't do the job well either but I much prefer the basket.

Awesome! I'm on the fence to go with the prebuilt Spike Solo system but find the $2000+ cost a little high. You solution seems like a great alternative.

Awesome! I'm on the fence to go with the prebuilt Spike Solo system but find the $2000+ cost a little high. You solution seems like a great alternative.

Everyone will have to choose their own path. There were several things I did not like about the Solo system. I liked theGrounded Brewing controller better because I could use the timer option of the Auber EZBoil DSPR320. There seems to be a significant issue with stuck sparge a due to the cone shape and design of the Solo system as noted in the discussion on this forum. I wanted to use a whirlpool and be able to constantly recirculate during the mash like Bobby_M does on his system using a 3 way valve. I didn’t like the open sided basket used for the Clawhammer system. Basically I couldn’t find any existing system that did all I wanted to do so I stole the best ideas to make mine.

I do not claim that it will be the perfect system but I don’t have anything at this point that I would change. If you start down this path copy what you like and ask a lot of questions about things you aren’t sure about. The group here has been an amazing resource in that regard.

You built your own spike solo that you like better. Nice.
My spike Solo arrived yesterday and I was pleased to see the basket in person and that the "cone" isn't as severe as some have said.
Cheers either way 🍻

Attachments

• 16153023820392838888954295641842.jpg
    16153023820392838888954295641842.jpg
    920.2 KB · Views: 44
I just don't like trying to clean the bag even though many here seem to like them just fine. I think that part of the attraction to the basket is that it feels so solid and just does it's job. Not saying that a bag can't do the job well either but I much prefer the basket.

i am still waiting on my basket.. wish i had an update to at least know it was still coming.

Back