New CraftBeerPi Build - Need some advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinjs0102

Reaction score
Hello HBT,

I am waiting on a few parts still but am working on my CBP build. This is a 240v, 30 Amp build with a pump and 5500w element. This is a rough drawing and planning to add some more details as i go.

Here is my current layout, however, i have a few questions/Thoughts.

It appears IMG is not working.

LINK : https://imgur.com/gzr13xM

1. If i wanted to power the CBP, should i move the contact past the main power connectors and have the switch to power on the CBP and then one to power the element.

2. Should i replace the Relay for the pump with an SSR? i have 3 total SSR's, one of which is to keep on hand.

3. Should i place a contact in between the relay/ssr for the pump.

4. As far as switch (2 position), are these correctly set up on the contractors. Tthe contactors i have are Packard C230b.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KGSJ74/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Other than this, i feel the build is not super complex. Just adding in some switches to turn the CBP on and then allowing power to the element and pump.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Note I'm not a professional, so take my help with a grain of salt:
1. If i wanted to power the CBP, should i move the contact past the main power connectors and have the switch to power on the CBP and then one to power the element.
This depends what you want. Do you want to have the CBPi when you turn off the master switch?

2. Should i replace the Relay for the pump with an SSR? i have 3 total SSR's, one of which is to keep on hand.
Pumps can operate with Relays fine. SSR only used for Heating Element due to the high current, and the many on/off switching of the heating element. With Pumps - you don't turn it on/off that much, and you only need a switch to tell it to turn on/off. I think SSR is overkill, but it'll still work.
3. Should i place a contact in between the relay/ssr for the pump.
If the pump goes out of control, how do you kill the power? You can't do it with your Switch you have because that only turns the heating element off. You can get a 3 Pole Double Throw switch.

4. As far as switch (2 position), are these correctly set up on the contractors. Tthe contactors i have are Packard C230b.
I'm not sure how to do 3 phase. I only know how to do 1 phase. Can't help you here. You should check out the facebook page of CBPi, lots of professionals in there that's happy to help out.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KGSJ74/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Other than this, i feel the build is not super complex. Just adding in some switches to turn the CBP on and then allowing power to the element and pump.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back