New Club Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I am looking for feedback and input on a club idea I have.

I want to form a club that is all about brewing.

I would like to get together and brew, particularly with an eye on style and competitions (club-only and the like).

I want to do it mostly at my house, using my system, which can turn out a solid 45 gallons. I am also planning on building a walk-in, so we could ferment and condition the beers appropriately.

I am thinking a small club, maybe 6 or 7 members, meet once a month on a Friday after work. I am off on Fridays, so everything could be ready early.

The club would focus on designing recipes, using appropriate ingredients, including yeast. Maybe lay out an annual schedule of brews, make assignments, that kind of thing.

Then send beers to competitions.

Of course we would need to sample, evaluate and judge. Taste commercial examples.

I am also thinking of being selective in membership. Get the good brewers together and see what can come from it.

So, is this too geeky or elitest? Maybe it would be the EAC Brewers Guild or something like that.

Thoughts...

It's a very different model for a club than that which you generally see (usually more open to newcomers). But, I think it's a really good idea. I would think of it more in terms of being a "Guild" than a "Club." By-invite only, which is absolutely appropriate since you will be holding it at your personal residence and you clearly have lots of toys with a high black-market value.

Ahhh to be one of those chosen few... to be held "guild worthy" by brewpastor... to be able to do 45 gallon batches....

These are the dreams that us newcomers must aspire to, I bow to thee...

Yeh, being picky could be tricky but I really don't want to have to waste brewing time, that isn't to say I would be against teaching folks, but I don't want fifty guys with bad beer gas drinking down my reserves and then filing a suit against me because they smashed their POS car into my house.

I had a similar idea, except that instead of 100% focus on brewing, it was more of a 'boys club' for my group (many of whom are homebrewers, or at least enjoy good beer and would homebrew if they could).

It would be the same theory, meeting regularly, drinking beer, formulating kick ass recipes, sampling, poker, strippers, and of course, some brewing once in a while.

Hey Brewpastor. Did anything ever happen with this "club" i'm highly interested!! Im stationed down at Cannon AFB (Clovis).

I see that this thread is way old.. but I'd be interested in seeing if this ever took off. I currently live in Santa Fe and a drive to Corrales is not that far for me. My only caveat is that I'm a straight up newbie. My kit is still in the mail expected sometime this week.

If I don't meet the requirements of the "Guild" I understand, but I'm still interested in learning and providing what little feedback I can at this stage in my brewing career. :)

I see that this thread is way old.. but I'd be interested in seeing if this ever took off. I currently live in Santa Fe and a drive to Corrales is not that far for me. My only caveat is that I'm a straight up newbie. My kit is still in the mail expected sometime this week.

If I don't meet the requirements of the "Guild" I understand, but I'm still interested in learning and providing what little feedback I can at this stage in my brewing career. :)

I am considering joining the dukes of ale club in abq. I am in rio rancho and tried to start a club here but couldn't seem to get a core group with enough interest to brew once a month so i dropped it. I think brew pastor is inactive here.. too bad as corrales is right next door to me. We have a nice lhbs here in rio rancho now as well. I all grain biab and brew twice a month.

Back