NEW CL Freezer, need thermostat wiring info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm stoked guys. I got a chest freezer, 2 years old, clean as they come for 75.00. I also have an old thermostat, mechanical type without wires. Inside this beast there are 3 wire conection points. The screw at the top has a red dot with the word COM next to it. The middlescrew has a blue dot and the bottom has a yellow dot. The schemtics inside the cover show:
OPEN ON TEMP. INCREASE (w/ arrows pointing to red and blue)
CLOSED ON TEMP. INCREASE (w/arrows pointing to red and yellow)

So, what do I do now!! I'm thinking the com stand for common so the 'white' neutral wire goes there? The blue dot screw must also be used when temps need to turn on so I should wire the black or red "hot" wire. The yellow I should not use???? Also should I wire both the freezer and the wall plug to these points OR wire the wall plug and then plug the freezer into the wall plug. And where the heck does the ground wire go??? This may be hard to understand but it is the best I can do right now. Charlie

Chello said:
heres wiring info i followed. Its for a Johnson A19 if it looks like what you have.

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/johnsoncontroller.html

THANKS!! This is great, very nice article. Mine is very similar but is a Penn with 3 screws. I guess I will use the red and blue for the black wire as this says"open on temp increase" but I'll hang around the unit just to make sure. Anyone else Charlie

I am a refrigeration engineer for a large hospital in Michigan so I am very familiar with what you talking about. The red dot is your common switch leg. What this means is that this is the main power feed to your thermostat. You should hook to the "hot wire" from the wall plug here. The yellow "close on temp increase" is the only other connection that you need . This should hook to the "Hot wire" to the compressor. What this does is that when the temp in the cooler gets too warm a switch between the red and yellow connection will close. This will then take the power from the red to the yellow and then to your compressor. Open on a temp increase would be used if you where trying to prevent something from coming on or shut something off if the temp got too warm, not the case here. The white neutral wire should wire to the compressor and the ground should as well. The two wires that you will need are the black "hot wire" from the wall plug and the Black "hot wire to the compressor. When you switch anything you always switch your "hot" leg.

Let me know if this helps

~d

earlyd said:
I am a refrigeration engineer for a large hospital in Michigan so I am very familiar with what you talking about. The red dot is your common switch leg. What this means is that this is the main power feed to your thermostat. You should hook to the "hot wire" from the wall plug here. The yellow "close on temp increase" is the only other connection that you need . This should hook to the "Hot wire" to the compressor. What this does is that when the temp in the cooler gets too warm a switch between the red and yellow connection will close. This will then take the power from the red to the yellow and then to your compressor. Open on a temp increase would be used if you where trying to prevent something from coming on or shut something off if the temp got too warm, not the case here. The white neutral wire should wire to the compressor and the ground should as well. The two wires that you will need are the black "hot wire" from the wall plug and the Black "hot wire to the compressor. When you switch anything you always switch your "hot" leg.

Let me know if this helps

~d

Thanks Helps a lot. So in electric talk open(no contact) means off and close(contact) means on....Go it. Tomorrow I will fire this baby up, I'll toast both you ~d and Chello tonight tho'. :mug:

Back