new brewer with limited time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpwater

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing,got my first batch (true brew amber ale kit)going 8 days ago and everything seems to be going fine.My job is my problem.I work away from home 28 days and then come home 28..I would like to brew another batch before i leave, and was wondering if it would be ok to leave it in the fermenting bucket for 4 or 5 weeks while i'm gone?Thanks in advance for any help.

Shouldn't he keep it on the low temp of the suggested yeast temperature while he is gone? He might get off flavors if it's on the high end? Just curious.

Don't worry about it, I've let beer sit on the cake for months at a time with no effect.

Yeah, no issues here. I just bottled a beer that was in the primary for 2 months. Temperature control will be an issue when you aren't home, but it isn't as important after the first few days of fermentation anyway.

Thanks for the input folks,now i'll have 2- 5 gal. batches waiting for me to get home.I gotta play catch up quick because this first brew is going to cost me about 200 bucks lol,including all the equipment i bought.Oh yeah, i just transfered the first batch to a 6 gal. glass carboy so i can brew my second batch. This is my first look at it , and if looks could kill, wow.Very pretty dark amber color and it smells like beer and tastes likes hops i think, kinda bitter and flat not sweet at all but it's only 8 days old..Thanks again , you folks are great..

Use a blow off tube if you can... Would suck if you got your airlock clogged and you went there to clear it and you come home to a room covered in beer. Or brew if a few days before you have to leave so you'll be there for the most violent part.

good idea maxkling , i was planning on brewing it about 2 days before i went back to work. Also , my first brew started working about 3 hours after i sealed the bucket.The only way i had to check the temp was to stick my thumb in the wort, and it felt luke warm..Is that the rule of thumb method?lol Seriously i am trying to keep it simple and hope for the best.I WILL LEARN FROM THIS FIRST BATCH LOL..Hey pard, i have the same feelings on gun control

IMO if it feels luke warm to you then its probably too hot.

My first big mistake with my first batch was too warm fermentation temps. I ended up with a very fruity flavored beer...

You really need a stick on temp strip.

IF you use a blow off put tit low in a gallon jug full of water or starsan mixed want to keep that O2 off it.

Back