New brewer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBearBrews

Reaction score
Long time reader, 1st time poster. Brewed my 1st batch back in April. It was a Brewers Best Imperial Pale Ale and it turned out fantastic. The kit came with:

6.6 lb light LME
3 lb Golden DME
1 lb caramel 80L
8 oz victory
4 oz carapils
4 oz Columbus hops
Packet of yeast (don't remember what kind)

I would like to brew it again but with different hops. My question is what hops or combination of hops would work with this? I also have 7 lbs of golden light DME and enough bottle caps (both from a friend) that I could skip the kit and buy everything separately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The sky is the limit, depends on what style you want it to be. If you want to continue with it being an IPA Cascade and Centennial would be the classic. Simcoe and Amarillo are really hard to beat as a combo and many right now are digging on the Citra (not my personal favorite, but whatever floats your boat).

If Simcoe and Amarillo are hard to find, columbus Centennial and cascade make a nice combo.

Yes I want to keep it an IPA. I checked my LHBS website and they are currently out of simcoe and Amarillo but they do have centennial and cascade, so that's what I'm going to get. How much and at what time in the boil should I add them?

Latest posts

Back