New brewer needs some advice Woodfordes Headcracker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveofnorway

Reaction score
I just recently started a Woodfordes Headcracker beer kit.
The kit makes 24 pints and is bubbling nicely in my fermenting bucket.

On the instructions it suggests to use sugar for priming my bottles.
I note from reading a lot on this kit that using extra light spray malt is better for this beer. I tried using the brew calculators out there but never feel so confident in what to enter for some of the values. Ive tried looking into things like the CO2 but can't find an answer.

I just want to know how much spray malt to add to my beer before bottling.
I intend to add it to the beer in bulk rather than tea spooning it into each bottle.

Any help really appreciated! :mug:

The amount of sugar you would use to prime would have very little effect on the taste of your brew.
I prime each 500ml bottle and use small sugar cubes that are just under 2gr.
That is about the perfect amount for an English beer

I've never heard of Woodfordes beer, so I checked out their website, very interesting small brewery started by homebrewers! Very nice video to watch about the operation. We'll never see that beer in the US, the locals probably drink it all. Anyway, here's a link to a priming sugar calculator. Just plug in your values, for spray malt, select DME.
The Headcracker is a barleywine, suggested 2.2 volumes for carbonation.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Thanks alot guys :)
Woodfordes make some amazing British beers, their kits are made by Muntons and have a very good reputation. I live in Norway but luckily I found a store here that stocks this.

It can be hard sometimes,brewing outside of the UK or US(unless you are in Aus or NZ that is).
You havw to make the most of what you can get.
A mate of mine over here still loves that same kit,gets family to bring it for him.
Best of luck with the brew

Back