New Brewer interested in brewing German beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdirt_cowboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, like the title says, I'm interested in brewing German beers. My heritage is German, and I have a great interest in those style of beers. I love the few true German beers that I've had. They are definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum from the curl your toes, burn your nose hairs IPAs that are so popular today. I like their malty, roasted characteristics. So far, I have a doppelbock lagering and a dunkelweizen a week away from bottling. I am planning on brewing a Schwarzbier from a recipe I found here on HBT. My problem is that I live in a black hole of craft beer and import beer unavailability. So, when I brew these beers and get a taste of them, how can I tell if I brewed a good beer or not, according to their styles? The guy that owns the liquor store in my town is an old high school buddy of mine. His distributors can't even get some of the beers I'm interested in brewing. I'm not scared to jump in and brew something I've never had, but it would be nice to be able to have something to compare it to. I've seen the beer swapping thread, but all that's available to me in my small backwoods town is available to anyone, anywhere. I'm at a loss on how to judge my beer compared to the real deal. If anyone has any advice for me, I'm all ears.

ETA: I live in Texas, so it's illegal for any online retailers to ship to me, so that's not an option either. Believe me, I've tried.

Are there any craft beer bars around? how about a beercation. take a trip stock up.

No craft beer bars. If it's not bud, Miller, or coors, around here you're not getting it. I desperately want to go to Germany for Oktoberfest, but that won't happen until the kids are gone, and that's 12 years away.

IMO if you want to come close to the taste of a well brewed German lager your going to have to do it like they do and fully embrace low oxygen brewing practices.
As for how to buy the beers, I have similar issues as you except the next biggest city to me is 8 hours away. If Dallas was only 1.5 hours from me, I'd already be in the car on the way. ;)

One way to get your beer evaluated is to enter contests, another is to join a homebrew club if there's one that meets not so far away. Sounds like you'd need to travel to a nearby city to drink/buy imports. That would be expensive, can you buy beer online to ship? I know each State has their rules about that.

Searching HBT for the term Lodo will net lots of interesting threads about the topic but this site: http://www.********************
has the most information.

Shiner brews german styles.

Yes sir. And those are my favorite commercially available beers. But shiner puts their American take on a German beer. I've only had one or two beers actually brewed in Germany, and they are great. They are what got me into homebrewing in the first place. I guess there will be a long range beer run in my future. I think it's stupid that the state of Texas outlaws shipments of beer directly to me. Our liquor laws have to be the most antiquated laws. Just frustrating.

Same here, German beers and the difficulty finding them was the reason I started doing this so many years ago. I just wish we had the internet back then to learn how to do it properly.
Anyway, good luck with your quest.

Lol. That's pretty funny. I don't actually live in Waco, it's just the nearest largish city to me. I live out in the sticks, so boiling wort is a perfectly acceptable pastime.

Well, its been a long time since I was in Waco, I have friends in Woodway, but I have to imagine there is a store with a good selection of the types of brews you are looking for. I know that Twin Liquors in Killeen has a good selection, stopped in while TDY to Ft Hood a few years back and it was top notch.

There's so much to admire about the US, and so many bits that are completely frigged up. Welcome to the land of the free...

First thing is obviously to get in touch with local politicians to ask when they will embrace free trade with the rest of the country. It's only a gesture, but things will never change unless they people with power to change things, are aware that they need to change.

I guess in the short term all you can do is try to find as many "local" examples as you can. They may not be very good, they may be Americanised, but at least they'll give you some idea of what you're shooting for.

Brew as many as you can from the best recipes you can find - again they won't be perfect, but it will give you an idea of what it's all about. Ideally then find people who have tasted real German beer to critique them.

Do you have friends out of state who can act as staging posts for deliveries? Mind you, from what I hear the US commercial distribution chain for European beers isn't great for quality.

The ideal option is direct imports - do you have friends who go to Europe at all? Or can you make friends with people who do? :) Are there European companies in the vicinity? Shell? I think Airbus Helicopters are based in Dallas? Or going the other way, I imagine that some L3 employees spend a lot of time working with Airbus in Europe or stop off there on the way to the Gulf?

Or do you know anyone in the military? They have a big presence in Germany.

Final solution would be to offer the kids up for adoption, which would free up time and money for a trip to Germany. How serious are you about beer? :)

There's so much to admire about the US, and so many bits that are completely frigged up. Welcome to the land of the free...

First thing is obviously to get in touch with local politicians to ask when they will embrace free trade with the rest of the country. It's only a gesture, but things will never change unless they people with power to change things, are aware that they need to change.

This isn't what OP is dealing with. However, the several states get a monopoly on the production and sale of alcohol within its territory under health, safety and welfare police powers (after 21A repeal, of course). It is a patchwork of laws, but this isn't prohibition era and Texas isnt onerous with it's alcohol laws. See S. Padre Island Spring Break or any college football tailgate or Austin craft brew scene or the counties that want to be dry or moist.

What OP is dealing with:

Texas is huge and he lives in the country, so getting to a quality beer store is an hour away (guessing). Austin is 1.75hrs away, SA is maybe 2 hours. Waco is probably closest, and given it has Baylor U, I can't imagine there not being a huge beer store that has at least a reasonable selection of the beers he wants. Sure it may not be schlenkerla, but hey thats life. Talk to the store and ask.

Distributors aren't selling the beers he wants in his region and stores aren't stocking it. Again, ask. Or drive.

This isn't what OP is dealing with. However, the several states get a monopoly on the production and sale of alcohol within its territory under health, safety and welfare police powers (after 21A repeal, of course). It is a patchwork of laws, but this isn't prohibition era and Texas isnt onerous with it's alcohol laws. See S. Padre Island Spring Break or any college football tailgate or Austin craft brew scene or the counties that want to be dry or moist.

See the original post "I live in Texas, so it's illegal for any online retailers to ship to me, so that's not an option either. Believe me, I've tried."

"Illegal" sounds like within the remit of politicians to me....

See the original post "I live in Texas, so it's illegal for any online retailers to ship to me, so that's not an option either. Believe me, I've tried."

"Illegal" sounds like within the remit of politicians to me....

Oh, on shipping you are correct on that front. I didn't realize you were specifically referencing that.

Well, like the title says, I'm interested in brewing German beers.

Just an FYI, but Colorado-based Prost Brewing only produces what they claim are authentic German styles. Ive had several of their styles, Pils, Helles, Marzen, Dunkel, and so far these are quite good. Apparently they are expanding their distribution, so maybe when you do get into your store at Waco, see if they are around. They also have taprooms in Denver/Fort Collins, so if you ever make it up here, check them out.

No pecuniary interest on my part, just a fellow enjoyer of these styles of beer.

https://prostbrewing.com

Well, like the title says, I'm interested in brewing German beers. My heritage is German, and I have a great interest in those style of beers. I love the few true German beers that I've had. They are definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum from the curl your toes, burn your nose hairs IPAs that are so popular today. I like their malty, roasted characteristics. So far, I have a doppelbock lagering and a dunkelweizen a week away from bottling. I am planning on brewing a Schwarzbier from a recipe I found here on HBT. My problem is that I live in a black hole of craft beer and import beer unavailability. So, when I brew these beers and get a taste of them, how can I tell if I brewed a good beer or not, according to their styles? The guy that owns the liquor store in my town is an old high school buddy of mine. His distributors can't even get some of the beers I'm interested in brewing. I'm not scared to jump in and brew something I've never had, but it would be nice to be able to have something to compare it to. I've seen the beer swapping thread, but all that's available to me in my small backwoods town is available to anyone, anywhere. I'm at a loss on how to judge my beer compared to the real deal. If anyone has any advice for me, I'm all ears.

ETA: I live in Texas, so it's illegal for any online retailers to ship to me, so that's not an option either. Believe me, I've tried.

Are you out to win a contest or brew good beer? Matching the style only matters if you are trying to win a ribbon, otherwise if you like it drink it. If it's too hoppy, tone down the hops, too malt adjust the mash temp or IBUs.. make it a beer You enjoy. If you want to match styles, it sounds like you have some legwork to do. Either start writing state senators or drive to the nearest store with a big selection.

Whichever path you choose I wish you luck. I just want to say, I brew what I like to drink, I don't care if it matches style or not.

Back