new brewer in maine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReefkprZ

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I recently got into brewing beer. my first batch came out contaminated due to the airlock plugging and the carboy cap getting blown off the carboy.

for my second batch I got a larger bucket for primary to prevent the same thing from happening and will use my carboy for secondary fermentation and leave all my primary brews in the bucket (that way I can get 2 brews going at the same time and switch the second batch to secondary when I bottle the first.) hopefully I'll drop another wheat ale on top of the existing yeast for a second generation brew (if thats the correct term for it)

I am still a total noob at this but I am getting guidance from a close friend who has a lot of brewing experience.

here is a brief description of my second batch.

raspberry American wheat, all malt. in primary brewed december 31 at about 2 pm. after the boil the wort was chilled by placing the bucket in the snow from the recent blizzard to slam the east coast. Hence the name "Blizzard brew". I didn't use snow to make the wort don't worry. within 2 hours of pitching dry yeast the airlock started bubbling... fast. I did buy a good dry yeast its still happily bubbling away under my computer desk. I love the smell of the boils its got to be one of the best parts of brewing aside from the drinking of course.

my first batch came out contaminated due to the airlock plugging and the carboy cap getting blown off the carboy.

Hi from Ohio to Maine and we are glad to have another brewery to contribute here at HBT. Hope you find all you need here CHEERS!

You mention that your batch was contaminated? Did you not know about the blow off for a few days?

Welcome to the forums. That sucks about your first batch. With a small head space it's best to incorporate a blowoff tube, but you probably already knew that.

Welcome to the forums. That sucks about your first batch. With a small head space it's best to incorporate a blowoff tube, but you probably already knew that.

LOL yeah I figured that out a little too late. Well, a lot too late. Nothing like bottling up a batch of vinegarish nastiness. but it still gave me a feel of what to do. From all things, a lesson in life.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hi from Ohio to Maine and we are glad to have another brewery to contribute here at HBT. Hope you find all you need here CHEERS!

You mention that your batch was contaminated? Did you not know about the blow off for a few days?

it blew off like six times, there were extended periods when I wasnt home that the cap was off near the end of the fermentation. plus I have 15 cats and 3 dogs plus multitudes of other pets so I imagine the cats playing with the bubbles coming out the top of the carboy had something to do with the contamination...

Say goodbye to blow-offs with Fermcap-S. Seriously, a few drops in your primary and blow-offs are a thing of the past. I will not (and do not) brew without it, especially in the summer.

Back