New Brewer Fruiting Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azurelimits

Reaction score
So I brewed a pretty standard american wheat beer 2 weekends ago and I was lucky enough to get some fresh strawberries, peaches and blueberries at a farmers market. I wanted to know if anyone has ever experimented using multiple kinds of fruit in a beer?

I have a 5 gallon batch that I was going to split into my 2x 3 gallon carboys and have a strawberry/blueberry wheat and a peach wheat for the end of the summer. I am freezing the fruit to break down the cell walls and racking onto the frozen fruit. What do you guys think?

Will the flavors become muddled or will the blueberry overpower the strawberries?

Any suggestions would be great.

I am currently drinking my first attempt at a fruit beer. Fun, and a pretty damn good summer beer. I haven't done multiple fruits, just the one raspberry (and tomorrow I will start a blueberry). However, I will try to impart whatever minimal wisdom I can.
I think multi fruit beer is a good idea, just wouldn't go crazy with it. Just stick to flavors that are known to meld well. I wonder what strawberry kiwi beer would be like? Or Blueberry Acai? Strawberry/Blueberry... they go well in fruit salad, so why not? I would do at least a 3:2, and up to a 2:1 ratio of strawberries to blueberries. It seems to be that strawberries do not impart much flavor unto beer, so thou shalt not be skimpy. For 2.5gals I think 2lbs strawberries, 1lb blueberries might do the trick, maybe even a tad less or more, depending on your desired fruit flavor. Peach flavored things aren't my cup of tea, but I am sure you will find it a hit.
Freeze the fruit, and then allow it to come closer to room temp before racking. You could also add a little water and pasturize the fruit at about 170* for 10-20mins. Just make sure not to boil, or you'll run into pectin haze galore.

I am currently drinking my first attempt at a fruit beer. Fun, and a pretty damn good summer beer. I haven't done multiple fruits, just the one raspberry (and tomorrow I will start a blueberry). However, I will try to impart whatever minimal wisdom I can.
I think multi fruit beer is a good idea, just wouldn't go crazy with it. Just stick to flavors that are known to meld well. I wonder what strawberry kiwi beer would be like? Or Blueberry Acai? Strawberry/Blueberry... they go well in fruit salad, so why not? I would do at least a 3:2, and up to a 2:1 ratio of strawberries to blueberries. It seems to be that strawberries do not impart much flavor unto beer, so thou shalt not be skimpy. For 2.5gals I think 2lbs strawberries, 1lb blueberries might do the trick, maybe even a tad less or more, depending on your desired fruit flavor. Peach flavored things aren't my cup of tea, but I am sure you will find it a hit.
Freeze the fruit, and then allow it to come closer to room temp before racking. You could also add a little water and pasturize the fruit at about 170* for 10-20mins. Just make sure not to boil, or you'll run into pectin haze galore.

Neither strawberries, blueberries, nor peaches are good for making fruit beers. Go ahead and use them, but I have the feeling that you'll be underwhelmed. Use a fruit extract to get those flavors if you want em.

Back