New brewer from Ontario Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitter-man

Reaction score
Just getting back into beer.

Used to do partial mash and LME/DME kits in the past.

Just getting going again to make all grain beer. It not only better but cheaper and I like that.

I am building a 50l Keg brew kettle right now.

Has a 1" NPS tig welded in place for a 5500W Low Watt Density stainless element

1/2" NPT welded on for my ball valve
1/2" NPT welded on for my sight glass

Need to make the dip tube.

Working on the controller (SSR-40 with heat sink and 0-500 ohm pot) and getting 220V 30 amp circuit to my brewing location. L6-30 plug and all 30 amp twist lock plugs.

Mash tun is a 15g 5 day cooler, just need to finish up a few things.

Not done a full mash yet but concerned with my water its very very hard (450+ ppm based on my TDS meter) and a ph of about 8.8-9

I also have RODI machine so thinking will be having to mix water to ensure decent conversion (Keep the mash in the right ph)

I really like Innis & Gunn original so that's fist on my list. I like it but think it often over oaked and that can take away form the beer. Going to try and see if can find a clone recipe and oak lighter.. thinking mash temp in the 152-154 for it to leave a little residual none ferment-able sugars. Don't want it to sweet.. but want a nice finish . I figure this type of beer will need 60 days to carbonate and age before drinking so thinking will need to keep brewing 3-4 months before want to drink it so if I start now be good for the fall.

Already made Irish Red Red Ale and Cream ale's using extract recently. But just getting rolling on all grain.

B

My, you sure jump back in with both feet. Welcome from a fellow Canadian.

My, you sure jump back in with both feet. Welcome from a fellow Canadian.

LOL thanks... I'm sure will end up kegging eventually!

The pot was not bad actually keg was already cut up and got it for $40.. few parts... in the end was cheaper than a good kettle. And I wanted to go electric so I can brew in the winter if I want.

Not got back around to the steam keg been using it for a HLT for now.

B

Welcome aboard! I spend half my life in Vermont the rest in Ontario since my better half is there. I plan on living west of Ottawa eventually. Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back