new brewer and loving it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasties

Reaction score
Just brewed my first joam 3 days ago and its bubbling like crazy. Bought more supplies and yeast to make another batch possibly for fall or winter.
:mug::ban:

Made another batch tonight lol. Made it for my uncle. Both are JAOM but one is with the bread yeast and the other is with d-47. Interested to taste the difference when they're finished.

And it's definately hard waiting for it to finish.

Watching them ferment every chance you get is what I love to do. Then it's ready, the excitement begins.

Cheers!

Made another batch tonight lol. Made it for my uncle. Both are JAOM but one is with the bread yeast and the other is with d-47. Interested to taste the difference when they're finished.

And it's definately hard waiting for it to finish.

On the D-47 keep it in the coldest part of the home. The closer that yeast is to 60*F the better it is. If you do not and it is closer to 70*F or over you get many Fusel alcohols that don't age out well and you get a harsh Vodka like tone to the mead.

Even with all that you may find that the bread yeast works out better. D-47 may run this batch dry and you need it sweeter to counteract the orange peel pith. But best of luck with it all. JOAM is a great recipe to play with and learn about. I am close to making a new batch myself.

The coldest I am able to get it in my apartment is 68. Is this too hot and is it too late?

And thanks for all the help, this forum and everyone in it is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

MY guess is that you will have fun experimenting. The JAOM recipe seems to flout all the rules and yet works because the underlying principles work with the specific ingredients and directions. You cannot (IMO) make simple substitutions or modify the process without having a larger impact than you might imagine. So changing the yeast will actually radically change the outcome.

68 is a bit warm because if ambient temps re 68 the because of the active yeast generating heat the internal temps will be several degrees higher. Take a couple ziplocks of ice and put them on the side of the jug with a towel tied around them. Change out the ice in the ziplocks each morning and night. Do that for the next two weeks and it will help considerably.

I'm going to grab a bucket from work today and make a swamp cooler for it when I get home. That way my fiancé can swap out ice during the day and I can during the night. At least until I can build a fermentation chamber.

Got everything going and I'm now fermenting at 60 degrees. I want to brew more things just to kill time till my meads are ready and my beer is carbing lol.

My go to in between is white grape peach Welche's wine. I keep that on stick while I wait the 8+ months in between meads.

The 60qt cube ice chests work quite well for an insulator. You can freeze some bottles of water to put in the chest around your fermentor. With just a little practice and timing of the bottle changes, I can keep my fermenting chamber very close to 64 in a 70 degree house. If you are fermenting in a smaller bottle/bucket, you can close the lid and significantly decrease the bottle changes. I just pop a digital temp gauge in and change a bottle when the temp gets above 65. Seems to work for me. I use a lot of 71B so I keep my ferment temps in the low 60's.

I need to find a way to keep my mr beer fermenter cool, because it can't fit in a bucket and I don't have a cooler to keep it in.

My make-shift cooler with fan cut into side. My controller built, Fahrenheit, I may add(dual stage), but no mini fridge yet. This set- up has held temperature at 68° for two days now with temps in the high 80's. I change out two frozen cooler packs once a day.

1400046661175.jpg

68 is a bit warm because if ambient temps re 68 the because of the active yeast generating heat the internal temps will be several degrees higher. Take a couple ziplocks of ice and put them on the side of the jug with a towel tied around them. Change out the ice in the ziplocks each morning and night. Do that for the next two weeks and it will help considerably.

It's been 2 weeks since I put the fermenter in the buckets. Do I leave it in there for the remainder or take it out?

It should just be cooler for all the active fermentation is all. Once that is done it does not matter. There are some studies that show that warmer temps speed up the aging process once you have racked off the yeast.

Awesome. Thanks. I have a mini auto siphon on the way and a new carboy to rack into already!

I have never tried an auto siphon. Always went old school and just used a normal one. I did try on my gallon batches where I inserted two tubes and used a cut balloon to make a seal and I would blow into one with the liquid siphoned out the other.

Sounds like it is all going well. Give us some small tasting notes at racking!

Racked today, DELICIOUS!
Never had mead before but I think I'm going to really like it when it's done. I can taste the orange a lot in it but not the cinnamon yet. Was really nervous it wasn't going to turn out but now I'm not.

Back