New brew rig for my bro, help with heat shields

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
I wanted to build another brutus-clone, this time more along the lines of this for my brother. I have a standard brutus-clone, and the drain ball valves on the kettles are protected from direct fire by the ledge that the kegs rest upon.

JR2.jpg

JR3.jpg

In this one though, I chose to have a tippy dump for the kegs, and don't have that shielding effect because these kegs don't rest on a ledge. Trying to think of what to do to shield the ball valves. I'd appreciate some clever ideas.

Thanks.

I have a brutus, and one drawback is the cleaning of the kegs imho. Thought a tippy dump to get the spent mash out, the spent hops out, and for easy clean up would be rather nice. I wouldn't be using the tippy dump for transfering product with two pumps. Just for ease of clean up. Just worried about frying my valves, and the silicone hoses that are close to where the flames would be...

Late at getting back to this, but those tippy dumps are used for cleaning purposes. I went ahead with the plans and have since finished e/t. I haven't had a chan e to get it across two states to where my brother lives yet so I get to test fire if hopefully next weekend. Pics for sure

I like the idea for a tippy dump for the mashtun.... keeps you from lifting 50lb of spent grains, but after you get 95% of the grain out of the mashtun i like to take the hose to my mashtun/brew pot. this take a lot of water so i do it on the lawn. a empty keggle is pretty light. I would be worried that the tippy fuction would be over kill for the brewpot/HLT. i have to admit that it looks pretty badass..... that does count for a lot in my book:D

To answer your question is make sure that you dont position your ball lock where there the holes are on your keggles. this is a good example of a keggle that is position between the hole that are in all kegs.
keggle.jpg

Back