New brew pot I want to put holes in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1kuhl_brew

Reaction score
I've just recently purchased a brew pot that I'm going to weld up some fittings on. my question is what is the ideal heights for my holes? I'll be welding in two ss 1/2" couplings so that is about 7/8 or 15/16 O.D. I might add a third. I'm just unsure of where to place these fittings. The kettle is 100qt with a height of almost 20" I've seen the fittings under the handles as well, what are the pros and cons to that?

The bottom weld doesnt have to be super close, you can install a diptube to get to the bottom of the kettle. The others depend on the size of your expected batches. I just punched a whirlpool port in my kettle and set it at the 3 gallon level. 3 gallons is about the smallest that I brew and I wanted to be sure that port would be under the liquid. If I only brewed 5 gallon batches, I would have put it higher. What would your third be for? Not sure about a fitting under the handle. Never personally seen one like that.

The third hole would be for my liquid sight glass. The location of the holes are all near the bottom of the pot.
Most of the temp gauge specs just say out of the path of the heat from the flame but this is a pretty large pot so I figured 4" or so off the bottom would work. I didn't think about where 3 gallons lines up. Thanks.

Can't wait to get brewing!!!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409249924.448821.jpg

Sent from the harvest gold rotary-dial phone on the wall of my mom's kitchen.

Back