New brew kettle and Beer Smith 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Reaction score
I've just bought a new 16 gallon brew kettle (upgrading from a 5 gallon kettle so I can do full boils) and I need to set up a new equipment profile on Beer Smith 2. I'm doing extract recipes for now (going to switch to BIAB soon), I need help setting up an equipment profile for full boil 5 and 10 gallon batches with a 16 gallon kettle.

Honestly I can't make heads or tails of the My Equipment tab. Where do I enter my kettle size?

MyEquipment_zps6a1705ff.jpg

I don't believe you do. The factors that seem to matter are preboil volume, boil off, and loss from cooling and dead loss (from pick up). These factors are what determines needed pre boil volume and boil time to get to your desired post boil volume and gravity. Size of the kettle doesn't seem pertinent except for the variations in boil off volume and dead/cooling loss which may be determined through testing.

If you are planning on doing BIAB, enter the volume and weight of your kettle under the mash/tun settings. Also change the specific heat to 0.12 or 0.215 depending upon if it is stainless or aluminium. While it will not affect any values for extract recipes, it will change your strike temperatures and any sparge volumes when you start doing BIAB.

Back