New BIAB setup help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have been brewing AG for about 6yrs now and l was looking for a change to my cooler and old brew kettle... I am looking at replacing my old kettle with a bayou kettle with the ball valve and basket. I was planning on getting a pump to recirculate the mash (similar to the high gravity setup) and keep the temp with minor bumps with the burner.

I was thinking of getting a full electric system like the grain father or the high gravity system, but I have a good burner - wort chiller -etc,,,, so the expense seemed like a completely unneeded cost.

What do you folks think?!

Many ways to do it, from very simple to uber fancy.

I would ditch the basket and the pump, and just insulate the kettle for the mash rest.

That's all :)

Oops edit, unless you are brewing in an Alaskan winter environment, then I suggest just buying beer.

I have been brewing AG for about 6yrs now and l was looking for a change to my cooler and old brew kettle... I am looking at replacing my old kettle with a bayou kettle with the ball valve and basket. I was planning on getting a pump to recirculate the mash (similar to the high gravity setup) and keep the temp with minor bumps with the burner.

I was thinking of getting a full electric system like the grain father or the high gravity system, but I have a good burner - wort chiller -etc,,,, so the expense seemed like a completely unneeded cost.

What do you folks think?!

I think you should do a couple batches in your old kettle with no basket, no pump, no additional heating. Just set your grain mill as tight as you can get the grain to go through and get a decent bag to mash in. After you have those couple batches behind you, you may decide that you don't need the extra expense for equipment and can instead spend it on ingredients that make beer.:mug:

Back