New BIAB Setup... Couple of questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adpostel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been gathering parts and putting together my new BIAB system...

1) I have a Brew Hardware False Bottom, do you leave your false bottom in the kettle after you have mashed and are getting ready to boil?

2) I'm thinking of going with a Jaded Hydra for cooling after the boil, the false bottom would help keep it off the element, so should I just go ahead and boil with the FB in the kettle?

3) Would the False Bottom obstruct a good whirlpool from my whirlpool arm?

I've been wondering the same thing about a false bottom as I don't use one in my setup (yet). I have seen people tie a string to their false bottom so they can easily fish it out pre-boil. I don't see how it would hurt to leave it in though. Looking forward to reading other brewers thoughts.

1) I keep my Brew Hardware false bottom in during the boil, mainly because I use hop bags to my hop additions because I use a plate chiller.

2) If you're going to use the hydra, then yes, I would suggest leaving the false bottom in place. You won't have direct contact with the wort under the false bottom, but if you whirlpool/stir while chilling you shouldn't have any problem chilling to a consistent temperature in the kettle.

Yes, if I go with the Hydra, I will definitely recirculate/whirlpool with my pump during cool down... I guess it is better to get cooled down quickly after the boil than to worry about any trub that may go to the fermenter?

Do you have a spigot? I suspect you do so that means you are using that to transfer to the fermenter. If you desire to leave most of the trub in the kettle I would figure out how to remove the false bottom so that all the trub make fall below the spigot after the boil.

Do you have a spigot? I suspect you do so that means you are using that to transfer to the fermenter. If you desire to leave most of the trub in the kettle I would figure out how to remove the false bottom so that all the trub make fall below the spigot after the boil.

I think the false bottom he referenced is Brew Hardware's BIAB false bottom. It's very course, so trub falls right through it.

I leave my brew hardware false bottom in for the entire process, no issues. I try to leave the thickest trub in the pot, but it doesn’t really bother me if it gets into the fermenter.

Will the hydra be completely or mostly submerged with the false bottom in place?

I checked the height of the Hydra, and with 6.5 gallons in the kettle and the false bottom, the Hydra would be 95% submerged, if not right at completely......

Back