New BIAB Setup... Couple of questions...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

adpostel

Reaction score
Been gathering parts and putting together my new BIAB system...

1) I have a Brew Hardware False Bottom, do you leave your false bottom in the kettle after you have mashed and are getting ready to boil?

2) I'm thinking of going with a Jaded Hydra for cooling after the boil, the false bottom would help keep it off the element, so should I just go ahead and boil with the FB in the kettle?

3) Would the False Bottom obstruct a good whirlpool from my whirlpool arm?

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing about a false bottom as I don't use one in my setup (yet). I have seen people tie a string to their false bottom so they can easily fish it out pre-boil. I don't see how it would hurt to leave it in though. Looking forward to reading other brewers thoughts.

k-os

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1) I keep my Brew Hardware false bottom in during the boil, mainly because I use hop bags to my hop additions because I use a plate chiller.

2) If you're going to use the hydra, then yes, I would suggest leaving the false bottom in place. You won't have direct contact with the wort under the false bottom, but if you whirlpool/stir while chilling you shouldn't have any problem chilling to a consistent temperature in the kettle.

OP
A

adpostel

Reaction score
Yes, if I go with the Hydra, I will definitely recirculate/whirlpool with my pump during cool down... I guess it is better to get cooled down quickly after the boil than to worry about any trub that may go to the fermenter?

odie

Reaction score
Do you have a spigot? I suspect you do so that means you are using that to transfer to the fermenter. If you desire to leave most of the trub in the kettle I would figure out how to remove the false bottom so that all the trub make fall below the spigot after the boil.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a spigot? I suspect you do so that means you are using that to transfer to the fermenter. If you desire to leave most of the trub in the kettle I would figure out how to remove the false bottom so that all the trub make fall below the spigot after the boil.
I think the false bottom he referenced is Brew Hardware's BIAB false bottom. It's very course, so trub falls right through it.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I leave my brew hardware false bottom in for the entire process, no issues. I try to leave the thickest trub in the pot, but it doesn’t really bother me if it gets into the fermenter.

OP
A

adpostel

Reaction score
Will the hydra be completely or mostly submerged with the false bottom in place?
I checked the height of the Hydra, and with 6.5 gallons in the kettle and the false bottom, the Hydra would be 95% submerged, if not right at completely......