New BIAB brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
I've been brewing 5 gallon AG batches for the last year or so using an igloo cooler, DIY budget rims tube, and turkey fryer for the boil. I've come to the conclusion that instead of expand my brewery, I would like to downsize and make things simpler and do smaller batches. This also would give me a chance to brew more often and have a better selection of brews on hand.

I've decided that the BIAB method would be perfect being that it takes less space, there's less equipment, and best of all being I'm going electric I can finally brew in the house instead of the porch where it's either way to hot or freezing cold.

I am mainly looking at doing 2.5 or 3 gallon batches. That said, I decided to go with a 6.5 gallon Concord kettle and 2000 watt 120v element and enclosure from brewhardware along wish a small 24v DC pump for re-circulation.

Installing the element and ball valve was a breeze as I manged to assemble everything without any leaks.
20161210_112427_zpsiy4t4rxw.jpg

I am still waiting on a few parts to arrive for the controller and plumbing.
The controller enclosure is a 6"x6"x4" junction box which will contain the Auber PID, SSR, heatsink for heating. It will also house a 24v AC/DC converter which will run a PWM circuit to control pump speed. I am also going to install a small 24v fan to help cool the SSR. (The grey box on the right inside the enclosure just represents the AC/DC converter circuit board)

1481408041717_zpsw71crysa.jpg

Hopefully, the rest of the parts will arrive next week so I can finish the build and start brewing again soon.

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out what to brew first. I would like to do something simple just to try and get an idea of losses and efficiency data. Once I get some numbers I'm hoping to brew some big stouts!

I really like testing new setups on a pale ale or a saison. Both are so hard to screw up :) I just did the opposite - upsides from 2.5 into 5 g batches.

I really like testing new setups on a pale ale or a saison. Both are so hard to screw up :) I just did the opposite - upsides from 2.5 into 5 g batches.

Good idea...I have never made a saison. I guess it's time.
I am really excited about brewing smaller batches. It used to seem like it took forever for me to drink 5 gallons worth of beer. I mainly only drink on weekends and usually only share with the wife so I think 2.5 gallon batches are more suitable for us.

Hopefully Santa brings me some new kegs for the holidays!

I pretty much always do a Hoppy Pale ale if I'm using a new set up. Hitting my target volumes is usually my concern. Worst case, It'll turn out more sessional, or a low IBU IPA. Still tastey for me. I use that beer to get a better understanding of what to expect for my next brews (estimated volumes, boil off rates, waste)
I spent a few years doing small batch BIAB's due to a change in my living situation. It was great to brew more frequently and I felt that I improved my brewing a tom during this time.
Cheers!

Back