New Belgium SpringBoard - Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It will most likely be 5gal malt extract brew. I was thinking:

1 lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
3/4 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb White Wheat
7lbs Extra Pale / Pilsner Liquid Malt Extract
- What's the difference?

60 min: 1 oz Mt Hood
15 min: .5 oz Mt Hood
5 min: .5 oz Mt Hood

As for Goji berry/ Lycium (genus name), Schisandra, Wormwood:
What form, how much, and when? These are my main concern! I haven't been able to find any info on brewing with these...Any forums regarding Wormwood have quickly turned into arguments about Absenthe

For yeast, I was thinking:
WLP 540 - Abbey IV Ale Yeast (Platinum Strain) - "An authentic Trappist style yeast. Use for Belgian style ales, dubbels, tripples, and specialty beers. Fruit character is medium, in between WLP500 (high) and WLP530 (low).
Attenuation: 74-82%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 66-72°F"
-This was suggested by my homebrew store due to high attentuation in order to get dryness. Anyone used this?

or WLP 568 - Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend - "This blend melds Belgian style ale and saison strains. The strains work in harmony to create complex, fruity aromas and flavors. The blend of yeast strains encourages complete fermentation in a timely manner. Phenolic, spicy, earthy, and clove like flavors are also created.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 70-80°F"
-I've used this in my last two batches for a New Belgium Biere de Mars clone and Hibiscus Ginger Honey Saison, both with success, but leaning towards WLP540 because it's limited release, and I definitely want dryness.

It'll be room temperature (73-76°) with Wyeast yeast nutrients,. I was thinking ~ 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary.

Thanks!

hmm I haven't tried this beer...nor did I even know it was around. I may just have to pick some up.

I don't know what I was thinking earlier. Are you going to be able to to do a partial mash? If not probably just get 6lbs of Liquid wheat malt. (its like 55% wheat 45% 2 row) do a late addition on it 2lbs for the whole 60 min and then add the other 4lbs the last 15 min or so. Like this

Type: Extract
Date: 6/20/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 66.67 %
2 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 33.33 %
0.75 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
0.25 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.25 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.25 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.29 %
Bitterness: 22.0 IBU Calories: 189 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.0 SRM Color: Color

I do not believe American wheats get many their flavors from the yeast.....probably why they use fruit in them.....use a neutral yeast like wyeast 1056 Amercian Ale.

I think someone said in another post that WLP001 is close to 1056 so probably that also, since I saw the others you listed were whitelabs.

where did you get that recipe from?? did you make it up? i can't help ya with the spices, but i'm guessing flaked oats has no place in this beer.

rye rye rocco . . .

Rod, I'm not sure it's a "wheat beer", nor have I found anywhere that it even has wheat in it...I guess I just sensed it--kinda like a saison or wit or kolsch, but dryness/herbiness comes instead of phenolics. I am trying to keep the phenolics down, but it will have to be fermented within room temp, which is 75 degress.
It's been gone from the shelves for awhile here, but I could send you some if you're interested...

It's their spring seasonal and last year was the first year, replacing Biere de Mars, which they had consistency problems with (Brett/yeast). I actually just brewed a clone of that, getting the recipe (mas o menos) from AHS. Called for .5lb flaked oats, .5lb vienna malt, .5lb white wheat, .5lb cara munich, 7lbs wheat LME. And yeah, I did 20% of LME at 60min, 80% at 15min. Above is the same hopping rate, but I used wonderful 6-7%AA Saaz before. Only problem so far (brewed May1, bottled June11) I think, was using the whole oz of lemon verbena...
Thanks for the report, I need to buy BeerSmith. I was going for ~6.5 abv though.

Senor, I adapted this recipe from the BdM recipe I used and what New Belgium describes on the bottle. NB says SpringBoard has oats. Do you think another form of oat would better for this extract brew? It's def. slick and creamy and has great head retention; but it also is fruity (mostly in nose, dried fruit in taste) and refreshing and dry
And yes, it sounds like a wack combination that wouldn't meld well, but I absolutely adore it! There's alot unique about it. I'm tempted to reference the green fairy...
Btw Senor, "Been you to have any spike, mon?...Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul!"

To get an idea of what it's like, here's my review from last year:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/34717/?ba=MEsquandoles

Cheers!

I'm thinking adding a "tea" mix (steeped wormwood and schisandra, Goji juice) to secondary would be the most prudent approach, although I've never done this before...

Springboard isn't the one with lime leaves and coriander??

Because if it's the one I'm thinking of, that would be pretty easy to get.

ah, Springboard... a very unique and totally delicious brew.

definitely not the one with lime and coriander...

i've always wanted to clone this one - and i'm afraid i can't help ya on the recipe... after drinking one, i had two thoughts:

1. this is a beer i would love to clone.

2. i have no idea how to clone this beer.

:eek:

so, i'm interested to hear about your final recipe! unfortunately, i can't get any NB in Florida!!!

So heard back from the "Production Process R&D" guy at New Belgium:

Your recipe should work reasonably well. Here are some recommendations:

Hops: ditch the 15 min and throw it in the 5 min hopping.

Spices: amount should be really similar to hops. We make a little teabag (okay, a really big teabag) with the goji berries and throw that, along with powdered wormwood and shisandra with the last hopping. Go easy on the wormwood, it’s many times as bitter as the highest alpha hop (if you don’t trust me, try some for yourself; you will redefine the word “bitter” and what it means to you).

Yeast: Use lager yeast and ferment warm. There isn’t a ton of Belgian-y yeast character in this beer, any yeast characteristics should come from having yeast in suspension. We centrifuge but do not filter this beer, the best you can probably do is use a lower flocculating yeast and rack it off warmish.

Fermentation: 19°C for about a week then cool to 4°C and centrifuge, 48 hours later it’s packaged. Easy cheesy.

Good luck, I hope this information helps.
---
Hops: Do you think he meant to skip the flavor additions altogether, or just move that half oz to aroma addition?
And why? While I do love the hops, I think my initial recipe was probably a little aggressive for how their beer tastes.

Yeast: Yeah, I was actually thinking of going with a kolsch yeast since it kinda tasted kolsh-y, but Ive never used one. Would one of these still be good at 75 degrees?
Any ideas/comments what he was saying about the yeast/fermentation?

Thanks!

Wow that is pretty awesome that they were so helpful. I think I saw it in a store the other day. I might check back this weekend and see if it is still there. They had one sixer left.

Back