New belgium 1554

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefleck

Reaction score
anyone know where the name came from?
I have my doubts that the beer style is that old. Hops were just in their infancy with their romance with ale at the time. Do know 1554 was the first year they could be used in england in ales...

anyone?

It is a belgian black ale, so I think they just made the name up to indicate an 'old style' dark ale that isn't an english porter or irish stout, as I belive the dark ales from the continent do predate their english/irish cousins. First time I had it it reminded me very much of the dark german lagers more than an ale, and it was at the Yardhouse beer/resturant chain, so was from a keg not bottle, it has been awhile (maybe a year or so ago) since I drank it but I remember liking it very much.

Of course their site has a little write up on it and how they came to be brewing it and they are not claiming it is necessarily that old, etc. 1554 write up

I live in Belgium. and they do not sell it hre, that I can find.

Well that would be true, because the 1554 is brewed by New Belgium brew co. which is in Fort Collins, Colorado and doesn't distribute outside of the western US as far as I know, I've never seen it when on the east coast at least, kinda how Yuengling doesn't distribute outside the North East US. Doubt they'd be exporting to Europe.

One of my favorite New Belgium offerings - doesn't suffer from their over sweetness

According to the bottle label I have here, it's "From an ancient crumbling Belgian Library book, our intrepid researchers found references to this obscure style dating back to the year 1554. "
It is my favorite NB offering.

1554 is awfully good beer, but I was blown away by the NB Abbey Grand Cru. Although it's not real common, I've seen it at both the Falling Rock, and at Naked City up in WA.

This is one of my favorites...supposedly they came up with this from an old reciepe...but I think someone already said that??? I've been wanting to do some sort of clone or just make a reciepe.

got some info from the brewer....

Hello David,

1554 comes from a book published in 1554 by Alexandre Henne and Alphonse Wauters. It was at a certain point the oldest book that was referring to zwert or zwart beer, Flemish for black. We found it through a book from 1888 found in CSU here in town and older references in a library from a friend brewmaster in Belgium. This book and an earlier hand written parchment from 9/27/1447 are mentioning this beer. In the book there are also other recipes for Waeghebaert, Cuyte and Hoppe.

The recipes are only giving amounts of water and grains (different grains in Vilvoorde than in Brussels) in old units like setiers. No hop or spices are mentioned. So we had to make quite a bit of assumptions while developing the beer. In this part of Europe, Emperor Charles was ruling (he retired in 1556 to Spain). He had introduced hops in part of his territory, but I was not sure about Brussels. Brugge, 100 km west was still using gruit, since they had a very strong taxation establishment, a still existing building het Gruuthuuse, around this ingredient. Leuven 30 km East was already on hop, and was noticeably progressive for Flanders at that time (University started in 1425, brewery Stella Artois 1366 – who now bought Anheuser-Busch). I assumed in the development that Brussels was in-between but that this beer was not hopped. Assumptions are based on a beer named Hoppe (Flemish for hop) in 1554 and older roots, before hop, of zwert beer 1447 known at that time. I now know that Brussels used hop in 1554. But I also found already references to zwert beer in 1285, so the original beer was most likely gruit instead of hops.

Hope this helps and this is not too much information.

Have Fun,

Peter

got some info from the brewer....

Hello David,

1554 comes from a book published in 1554 by Alexandre Henne and Alphonse Wauters. It was at a certain point the oldest book that was referring to zwert or zwart beer, Flemish for black. We found it through a book from 1888 found in CSU here in town and older references in a library from a friend brewmaster in Belgium. This book and an earlier hand written parchment from 9/27/1447 are mentioning this beer. In the book there are also other recipes for Waeghebaert, Cuyte and Hoppe.

The recipes are only giving amounts of water and grains (different grains in Vilvoorde than in Brussels) in old units like setiers. No hop or spices are mentioned. So we had to make quite a bit of assumptions while developing the beer. In this part of Europe, Emperor Charles was ruling (he retired in 1556 to Spain). He had introduced hops in part of his territory, but I was not sure about Brussels. Brugge, 100 km west was still using gruit, since they had a very strong taxation establishment, a still existing building het Gruuthuuse, around this ingredient. Leuven 30 km East was already on hop, and was noticeably progressive for Flanders at that time (University started in 1425, brewery Stella Artois 1366 – who now bought Anheuser-Busch). I assumed in the development that Brussels was in-between but that this beer was not hopped. Assumptions are based on a beer named Hoppe (Flemish for hop) in 1554 and older roots, before hop, of zwert beer 1447 known at that time. I now know that Brussels used hop in 1554. But I also found already references to zwert beer in 1285, so the original beer was most likely gruit instead of hops.

Hope this helps and this is not too much information.

Have Fun,

Peter

That's a very interesting/informative response. Kudos to NB for taking the time time to write that.

I miss Denver...Falling Rock, and going to NB. I bought the 1554 long sleeve tee shirt because that beer is so tastey, and brought back 2 growlers of it because it's freaking nice.

Since I cant get it where I live and it seems to get nothing but positive comments/reviews I feel I need to brew this. Ideas on where to start? Anyone here have a recipe?

Since I cant get it where I live and it seems to get nothing but positive comments/reviews I feel I need to brew this. Ideas on where to start? Anyone here have a recipe?

Copied this from another board. I'll add the link at the end because they did some tweeking and posted comments on it.

What I get from the brewery (Grady Hull, asst brwmstr):
60% Pale malt, then carapils, munich, black and chocolate. Mash at around 154° for 45m.
21 IBU's of Target for 35m, lager yeast fermented around 65ish. He also commented on my recipe assumptions, which gave a few more hints.
I'm now thinking something like:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.33 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Actual Efficiency: 78.12 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.22 %
1 lbs 14.0 oz Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) Grain 16.13 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.90 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.30 %
0.75 oz Target [11.00 %] (35 min) Hops 21.9 IBU
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.058 SG (1.050-1.075 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.022 SG)
Estimated Color: 34.9 SRM (30.0-40.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 21.9 IBU (35.0-75.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.61 % (5.00-7.00 %)

Mash Grain Weight: 11.63 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.14 gal
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 14.53 qt of water at 168.9 F 154.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 5.81 qt of water at 209.8 F 168.0 F 10 min

Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2)
Carbonation Volumes: 2.6 (2.3-2.9 vols)
Estimated Pressure: 14.4 PSI
Kegging Temperature: 42.0 F
Age for 2 weeks
Storage Temperature: 42.0 F

1554 clone - BrewBoard

hi i am new to this site and homebrewing. kinda jumped into the fire as i am presently trying this 1554 recipe. i have only made 4 batches (2 mr beer, 1 muntons and 1 all grain amber ale). will post how it came out. thanks and pls be patient as i am sure there will be plenty of noob questions.

Well that would be true, because the 1554 is brewed by New Belgium brew co. which is in Fort Collins, Colorado and doesn't distribute outside of the western US as far as I know, I've never seen it when on the east coast at least, kinda how Yuengling doesn't distribute outside the North East US. Doubt they'd be exporting to Europe.

I live in Memphis(both outside the NE and the west) and both beers distribute here. So their distributions cover much more than that. Im happy as hell I get both beers, here, in the mid-south.
-Jefe-

but when do you add the hops in. this recipe says it has a 75 min boil.

oh and yes nb did expand. but not really what ya think. they opened up a fine dining resturant in downtown New Albany. they brew at the location on grant line rd though where they serve pizza and things like that. more of a bar atmosphere.

So, has anyone brewed this recipe since this thread was made? If so, verdict? How does it compare to the NB version? I really would like to brew a clone of this beer, and so far this has been the only clone recipe I have found. I'd like to hear some feedback before I spend the money on all the ingredients.

This was turned on to me by my wife. I really like this brew but have since formulated a hoppy palate and crave their beer "Ranger" more often now. As for the name...Sorry I'm at a scramble as to its origin

The beer's name is explained in the thread that is referred to earlier on in this one. I'm hoping that in the time that has passed since it was first written, that someone has brewed this recipe. Would be an awesome beer to have on tap, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this. :mug:

Try this one...

New Belgium Brewing
1554 Clone

5 Gallons, all grain
OG - 1.059 (I hit 1.070)
FG - 1.015
IBU - 21
SRM - 35
ABV - 5.7%

Ingredients
7.5 lb pale malt
.50 lb carapils malt
4.0 lb munich malt 20L
10 oz chocolate malt
1 oz black malt
5.8 AAU Target hops (60 min)(0.53 oz of 11% alpha acids)
Wyeast 2124 (bohemian lager) or White Labs WLP830 (German Lager Yeast)

Mash at 154 F. Boil for 90 min, add hops at times indicated. Ferment at 65 F.

It's fermenting right now, we had to substitute target with nugget and it's fermenting a little cold since it's suppose to be at 65 F...

I based my recipe on this email from NB.

From NEW BELGIUM:
"As you could probably guess we can't give you the recipe but we CAN
give you the ingredients. Here is a list of all of our brews in case you
are interested. Fat Tire is at the top.

Fat Tire: 5.3% alcohol
Hops and Spices-Willamette, Goldings and Magnum
Malts: Pale, C-40, Munich and Victory

Sunshine Wheat: 4.8%
Hops and Spices: Coriander, Orange Peel, and Magnum
Malts: Pale, Carapils, Wheat

1554: 5.5%
Hops and Spices: Magnum
Malts: Pale, Carapils, Black, Munich, Chocolate

Blue Paddle: 4.9%
Hops and Spices: Saaz, Liberty, Magnum
Malts: Pale, Munich, Carapils, Aromatic

Abbey: 7.0%
Hops and Spices: Willamette, Magnum, Hallertau
Malts: Pale, Chocolate, Carapils, C-40, C-80, Munich

Trippel: 8.7%
Hops and Spices: Saaz, Liberty, Magnum, Coriander
Malts: Pale, Victory, Munich

Hope that helps! If you would like more information on any of our other
brews (Special Release beers etc..) please let us know. These are just
our 'full time' beers. Happy homebrewing! "

I also found another email from NB on the net somewhere that states 1554 is fermented with lager yeast at ale temperatures.

I have brewed several times and it's nummy:

I call it Black Bear Ale
8-1/2# 2-row
1-1/2# carapils
2# german munich
1/2# chocolate
1/2# de-bittered black

1 oz German Magnum 15.5% 60min
1/4 tsp Grains of Paradise 10 min

Mash 154 (or should it be 155.4?)60min
Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager ferment 65-68

og ~1.062
fg ~1.014

Try this one...

New Belgium Brewing
1554 Clone

5 Gallons, all grain
OG - 1.059 (I hit 1.070)
FG - 1.015
IBU - 21
SRM - 35
ABV - 5.7%

Ingredients
7.5 lb pale malt
.50 lb carapils malt
4.0 lb munich malt 20L
10 oz chocolate malt
1 oz black malt
5.8 AAU Target hops (60 min)(0.53 oz of 11% alpha acids)
Wyeast 2124 (bohemian lager) or White Labs WLP830 (German Lager Yeast)

Mash at 154 F. Boil for 90 min, add hops at times indicated. Ferment at 65 F.

It's fermenting right now, we had to substitute target with nugget and it's fermenting a little cold since it's suppose to be at 65 F...

Looks like the recepie that was published in BYO in December. I had to up the amounts a little bit to get a 6 gallon batch (5.5 in fermenter, 5 in keg) and add some 2-row since I ran out of pale malt.

My 1554 Clone.

I based my recipe on this email from NB.

From NEW BELGIUM:
"As you could probably guess we can't give you the recipe but we CAN
give you the ingredients. Here is a list of all of our brews in case you
are interested. Fat Tire is at the top.

Fat Tire: 5.3% alcohol
Hops and Spices-Willamette, Goldings and Magnum
Malts: Pale, C-40, Munich and Victory

All this is info is on their website, under each respective brew. They also have IBU's and OG

All this is info is on their website, under each respective brew. They also have IBU's and OG

Interesting that the hops (magnum vs Target) and alcohol % have changed slightly. I wonder if they changed the recipe, or the old email is an error?

Back