NEW Bayou Classic 82qt - Weldless or SilverSolder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
Well thanks to google ads at homebrewtalk, I just placed an order for a new boil/hlt kettle for new automated setup. I was able to pickup a Bayou Classic 82qt stainless for $120 shipped. Saved 10% with banner ad

Now comes the question of modifying. In the past I have used silver solder and couplings. I like the low cost and simplicity, but I've never done with pretty new kettles. I will be using a 50ft SS Immersion chiller as HERMs, thanks to a great deal from StainlessBrewing. I am using immersion as I have issues cleaning my perm HERMs keggle. It will also limit the amount of holes needed.

I will only need the following holes:
1x 1" Heating Element
- Likely use Habor Freight punch for weldless
- Would need 1 1/2" for coupler in order to solder. I want to the clean setup of a punch and a large greenlee is expensive
2x 1/2" Output / Whirlpoo Input
- Plan on buying 13/16 punch which I believe will work with dimple tool and weldless

Just don't know if I want to commit to soldered fittings in the new shinny pot. Just want to get everyone's input.

Kettle scheduled for delivery tomorrow, any input from peanut gallery on the above?

I just finished mine up. Went weldless and it works great for me. I used a 13/16" punch and it made perfect holes for four valves and a sight glass. Unfortunately, instead of standard fittings I went with Brewers Hardware bulkheads for all four valves and found out quickly they require 7/8". So had to use my step bit anyway. Doh!

1 1/2" for coupling? I think you mean 1 1/4" right?

Wanted to add that I would rather have Brewers Hardware fittings than not. The single piece design and way the orings sits away from threads maked nice leak free connections you can really tighten down.

I've done both...the silver soldering is awesome if you have reasonable diy skills and patience. You have a lot more options as well. I've even soldered elbows and half couplings in; they really lower the profile, since it can get out of hand quick.

Another vote for silver solder. I made a Bayou Classic 44 qt. mash tun to be slipped into a Rubbermaid cooler and had no problems with it. Since it was designed to fit into the cooler shell, all of the couplings had to be entirely within the kettle, flush with the O.D. Drilled my holes undersize, pulled an extrusion tool into the kettle and then pressed the fittings in. The extrusion made enough of a recess to put a solder preform into. The only problem was in heating the fittings, it had to all be done from the inside and I couldn't watch the torch and look for the puddle of solder at the same time.

I've used it 4 or 5 times now and couldn't be more pleased with it's performance.

Back