New Anvil Bucket Fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't seem to get the bucket below 47 with the cooling coil using my glycol chiller.

Responding to a bit of an old thread, but I just got 7.5 gallon Anvil and am excited to use it this week. An earlier post (#304 by @Schlenkerla ) has almost exactly what I was thinking for CO2 management during fermentation and cold crash/kegging, but flipped the gas line attachment on the keg. The reason I am thinking to have them oriented this way (gas to gas) is to push the last of the sanitizer out of the keg, then also allow the keg to function as a suck back area for cold crashing (see below) Thoughts?

Fermentation
Co2 from fermenter -> gas in post on keg
Liquid out from keg -> to blow off bucket of sanitizer

Cold Crash
Liquid out from keg -> to blow off bucket of sanitizer
- sanitizer will be pulled into keg (unknown volume)
- after completion of cold crash, unhook gas from keg. Use CO2 bottle to blow out the suck-back from the keg (should still be O2 “free” in keg) and can create slight pressure for closed transfer

Closed transfer
Liquid out from keg -> to ball valve on fermenter
- unsure how to keep liquid line purged of O2
- End: turn off ball valve, remove gas line, remove liquid line

For those using the cooling kit, the rubber stopper that came with mine is about 2 years old now. the holes on the stopper have somehow permanently expanded and hardened so that the coil tubes loosely slide in and out. not tight, not sanitary. I had to rig something up with pieces of tubing to get a tight seal.

View attachment 659842Aww. They look so cute together.
I just bought a 4 gallon fermenter.
I’m currently brewing a 2.5g batch of Vienna lager.
It’s my first time doing a half batch but I’m excited to start brewing more often!
Next purchase is a 3g keg.
Btw- I purchased the bigger one a few years ago. The fit and finish has improved dramatically.
I love these fermenters! I haven’t modified it yet to do pressure transfers yet.

Would the 4-gallon lid fit on the 7.5-gallon model? I know this is an old thread, but I've been trying to figure this out with little luck.

I ask because my 7.5-gallon anvil bucket will just barely fit in my fermentation fridge. I can't really even add an airlock it's such a tight fit. So if the 4-gallon fermenter lid could shave off something like 0.5-1 inches of vertical clearance, it would be the perfect solution to my problem.

Would the 4-gallon lid fit on the 7.5-gallon model? I know this is an old thread, but I've been trying to figure this out with little luck.

I ask because my 7.5-gallon anvil bucket will just barely fit in my fermentation fridge. I can't really even add an airlock it's such a tight fit. So if the 4-gallon fermenter lid could shave off something like 0.5-1 inches of vertical clearance, it would be the perfect solution to my problem.
Going by memory, I don’t think so. I will double check when I get home though.
It’s actually been quite a while since I’ve used the smaller bucket. It’s great, I just find myself brewing 5g batches.

Going by memory, I don’t think so. I will double check when I get home though.
It’s actually been quite a while since I’ve used the smaller bucket. It’s great, I just find myself brewing 5g batches.

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

I've used the bucket for several batches and have really enjoyed how simple it is. If you confirm the lid, I'll be torn: different fermentation chamber or different fermenter?

Definitely no. The smaller bucket’s lid is about 10.5 inches from lip to lip. The larger bucket is over 12”. Here’s a pic of the two kids stacked.

Attachments

• 10DED646-9F18-4BC9-A903-C5916E9C7A6E.jpeg
    10DED646-9F18-4BC9-A903-C5916E9C7A6E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Came across this thread, but figured I'd post this contraption I put together in order to replace the airlock and make closed transfers easier and faster on keg day.

I basically cut off a piece of racking cane, a piece small 1/4 ID thick wall hose, and a stainless steel carbonation cap (See pic of it put together). It fits perfectly snug in the hole where the airlock goes. You can easily attach a ball lock with blow off tube to it and then unplug it and hook up co2 for a low pressure closed transfer.

I took it a step further and use it to purge my keg that im going to transfer into with free co2 from the yeast. I took a small piece of 1/4 inch ID thick wall hose and added ball locks on both ends. One end plugs into the liquid post of the keg (I wanted co2 to flush from the bottom up) and the other end comnects onto the post from the fermenter. I then hook up the gas post from the keg going into a jar of sanitizer. Now once im ready to transfer i just unhook the keg, attach the co2 to the post on top of fermenter, and then attach my hose from the spogot to the liquid post of the nicely purged keg to start my completely o2 free transfer (I sanitize the keg prior to hooking it up for the co2 flush, so it doesn't have to be opened after it's purged). See other pic of my setup in action.

Attachments

• 20220731_023418.jpg
    20220731_023418.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220629_174119.jpg
    20220629_174119.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hey folks. My chest freezer finally gave out so I'm on the hunt for a new fermentation chamber. Aside from just getting another chest freezer for my 7.5 gallon Anvil Bucket Fermenter, has anyone found any particular mini fridges that will fit it? I don't mind doing a little modification.

Back