New Anvil Bucket Fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
Just saw this, much better priced than SS Brewbuckets too!

76F53D2A-CD36-44F0-8A69-40843DCBD747.jpeg

It's an interesting new product somewhat different from the "Ferment in a Kettle" kit. It could do with a couple improvements, in my opinion.
The stainless ball valve and spigot is nice but a dump valve could be added as well to collect yeast or discard trub. It would be a minor extra option for yeast harvesting so the finished beer could be dispensed afterward for better clarity. The second modification could allow a precision thermometer, digital or otherwise, as found on their brew kettles.
It is a nice cost effective choice for small batch hobbyists who want the stainless steel option as opposed to the more expensive SS Brewtech models. If I was to move away from glass car boys, I'd consider it....but would want a dump valve and thermometer option. Failing that, I'd modify the Anvil myself.

It's an interesting new product somewhat different from the "Ferment in a Kettle" kit. It could do with a couple improvements, in my opinion.

The stainless ball valve and spigot is nice but a dump valve could be added as well to collect yeast or discard trub. It would be a minor extra option for yeast harvesting so the finished beer could be dispensed afterward for better clarity. The second modification could allow a precision thermometer, digital or otherwise, as found on their brew kettles.

It is a nice cost effective choice for small batch hobbyists who want the stainless steel option as opposed to the more expensive SS Brewtech models.

I think your last sentence nails it. I am sure they were targeting a price point and what ever they could offer in the price point made the spec sheet and everything else fell to the wayside.

$99 for 4 gallons? I'm sticking with my better bottle and glass carboys for now. If I didn't have a bunch of other priorities, I consider it though.
My fermentation chamber (freezer) is pretty small and my main problem would be getting it in there.
Edit: I just looked at the size, and I could probably fit two of them in there, but the price is still an issue.

$99 for 4 gallons? I'm sticking with my better bottle and glass carboys for now. If I didn't have a bunch of other priorities, I consider it though.
My fermentation chamber (freezer) is pretty small and my main problem would be getting it in there.
Edit: I just looked at the size, and I could probably fit two of them in there, but the price is still an issue.

$30 more and you get the 7.5 gal though. And by comparison, the SS Brewbucket is $199.

I’ll never use plastic or glass as my fermentation vessel so these are great options. I just wish they offered a 10 gal batch version.

How's the seal? Would it hold pressure? The website doesn't show or mention any kind of rubber in the lid or anything like that.

If the valve is easy to disassemble that would be an advantage over the Ss bucket. You can service their valve, but every time I do I seem to chew up the white plastic seal.

Unfortunately the 7.5 gal Anvil is wider and shorter than the Ss bucket and it doesn't look like it would fit my fridge. It's a Vissani wine cooler, 18" front to back... but the back 6" is the compressor hump. I don't think there is any way I can rotate the Anvil so it fits. The handles and valve stick out pretty far.

Edit: I did contact Anvil and ask for the dimensions of just the base, I'll post a followup if I get it.

How's the seal? Would it hold pressure? The website doesn't show or mention any kind of rubber in the lid or anything like that.

I was about to pull the trigger on one, but this kinda concerns me. Already have one SS Brewbucket, looking to add another but thought about trying this Anvil out. I wish Spike brewing would come out with a similar product with welded fittings.

I called my lhbs and they are getting a shipment as early as late next week. They said they would hold one for me. I’ll report when I get it. Although it may be a while til I brew. My keezer is currently filled with a crapload of u-pick apples.
I was just about to pull the trigger on a ss brewtech bucket when I read about this one. I was also interested in a Chapman but no one seemed to have them or know when they would get more in. Several unanswered emails to Chapman sorta turned me off to them as well.

I wonder why they chose those sizes. 4 gal is to small for most and 7.5 leaves a lot of head space for 5ish gal brews.

I actually like the 7.5. Often I’ll ferment 6.5 gallons of base cider so I can then split in two 3gal glass carboys for aging. I usually add hops and or ginger to one and leave the other alone. For beer I usually shoot for 5.5 or 5.75 gallons to ensure I get a full 5 g of finished beer. I’ve been fermenting in an 8g wide plastic bucket and haven’t had issues.

I wonder why they chose those sizes. 4 gal is to small for most and 7.5 leaves a lot of head space for 5ish gal brews.

4 gallons is perfect for Zymatic brewers. Not sure if that's why they did it, but it certainly is likely to win them at least this customer.

7.5 actually sounds like a decent size - it's a lot of headspace, but too much headspace isn't really a major issue. I'd argue you're actually benefiting as it prevents the need for a blowoff in most cases.

Actually 7.5 is perfect for 5 gallon brewers. I use BSG 7.8 gallon buckets and I don't know how people do it on anything smaller. I also brew to get 5 gallons in the keg too though which is usually 5.5 into the bucket to start.

I fo 5 gal batches, but always aim for a little more than 5 coming out of the fermenter. That way I get a full keg, and 1-2 liters of beer that I zap with a carb cap and enjoy right away. RIGHT AWAY. :mug:

Having some beer that never touched the keg also gives me a point of reference in case I find an off-flavor later -- I know if I can eliminate the keg itself as a problem.

This looks awesome for the price point! I’ve been wanting to get an SS brew bucket, but I may just pull the trigger on this. I do wish that it had a thermowell, or at least an optional upgrade for one. Otherwise I’m not concerned with the headspace as this kind of takes away the need for blowoff with most 5 gallon batches. You have to remember that Anvil is the “more affordable” brand to Blichmann, so it’s not surprising that it’s sort of stripped down. It’d be cool to see if Blichmann comes out with a more “deluxe” version, maybe with features similar to the Grainfather fermentor (which seems like a bust so far).

I reached out to Anvil to ask the same thing. Apparently there is a silicon seal molded into the lid that allows it to seal onto the top edge of the tank.

I wouldn't expect it to hold pressure (you won't carbonate in this) but it should be air tight.

Anvil support told me that the 7.5 gal fermentor is 12" across not counting the handles or valve.

To see if I can fit one in my ferm fridge I will need to make a cardboard cutout and play with it. It would be very tight since. My total depth is 18" but I only have 12" of floor in front of the compressor hump.

This is a great solution to a non-problem. It looks like a great way to separate the brewers from their money with little improvement but plenty of "shiny". Plastic buckets work just fine, cost way less, and can be replaced regularly without costing as much as one of these. If you have the money to waste on "shiny" go right ahead. I prefer to spend money on what is important in brewing, the ingredients. My 10 year old bucket still makes great beer.

This is a great solution to a non-problem. It looks like a great way to separate the brewers from their money with little improvement but plenty of "shiny". Plastic buckets work just fine, cost way less, and can be replaced regularly without costing as much as one of these. If you have the money to waste on "shiny" go right ahead. I prefer to spend money on what is important in brewing, the ingredients. My 10 year old bucket still makes great beer.

To each their own, and yes you can brew in a plastic bucket, but you can't argue that they are as good as a stainless vessel. Plastic easily scratches, which makes a great place for bacteria to grow. Plastic will degrade over time. Buy stainless once and it will last a lifetime. Since I made the switch I wouldn't go back.

The same argument could be made for stainless conicals vs. plastic buckets, or plastic buckets vs. glass carboys. Each option has advantages and disadvantages.

For me, personally, I think that the 4 gallon bucket ticks the boxes necessary for me to pick one up. The final determination will be once people get them in hand, and when the first reviews are out.

To each their own, and yes you can brew in a plastic bucket, but you can't argue that they are as good as a stainless vessel. Plastic easily scratches, which makes a great place for bacteria to grow. Plastic will degrade over time. Buy stainless once and it will last a lifetime. Since I made the switch I wouldn't go back.

A ball valve that you can't fully break down is much more likely to harbor bacteria than a plastic bucket.

There's a feature here I don't care for--though it may not be an issue for others. It's something the SS Brew Bucket has that this does not.

The diameter of the SS Brew Bucket is 12.5". The width of the Anvil offering (Handle to Handle) is 16.5" while the depth is 15.25".

The Brew Bucket maybe could fit in my little mini-fridge ferm chamber; the Anvil could not. I don't know, exactly, why they make them this way, but if the handles were fore-and-aft, instead of port-and-starboard, it would be easy to fit it in that ferm chamber.

I had a similar issue with my kettle (a Spike). The handles are port-and-starboard, the ball valve is in front. I have to unscrew that ball valve to store it in a cabinet. Not a huge problem, but an issue.

At least the SS Brew Bucket has handles that fold down.

FWIW. People can get what they want. Fortunately we still have the ability to do that. :)

There's a feature here I don't care for--though it may not be an issue for others. It's something the SS Brew Bucket has that this does not.

The diameter of the SS Brew Bucket is 12.5". The width of the Anvil offering (Handle to Handle) is 16.5" while the depth is 15.25".

The Brew Bucket maybe could fit in my little mini-fridge ferm chamber; the Anvil could not. I don't know, exactly, why they make them this way, but if the handles were fore-and-aft, instead of port-and-starboard, it would be easy to fit it in that ferm chamber.

So I'll be honest here - It took me a second to figure out what you meant by this, just because I've never seen a kettle that had the ball valve/port underneath the handle. That said, it kind of makes sense. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be using the handle & ball valve at the same time, and even if I was, having it underneath the handle doesn't sound like much of a disadvantage.

But, even in my head, it looks weird. I doubt any company will ever make one that way just because the market wouldn't expect it. ;)

So I'll be honest here - It took me a second to figure out what you meant by this, just because I've never seen a kettle that had the ball valve/port underneath the handle. That said, it kind of makes sense. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be using the handle & ball valve at the same time, and even if I was, having it underneath the handle doesn't sound like much of a disadvantage.

But, even in my head, it looks weird. I doubt any company will ever make one that way just because the market wouldn't expect it. ;)

Yeah, there are reasons to keep the handles to the sides and the ball valve to the front. One is that the handles on mine are a convenient place to put the stir spoon. Another is that I can hang the lid from them on the side.

Having said that, if I wanted those features to remain with the ball value under one of the handles, I could just turn the kettle 90 degrees and the handles would end up on the "sides."

$30 more and you get the 7.5 gal though. And by comparison, the SS Brewbucket is $199.

I’ll never use plastic or glass as my fermentation vessel so these are great options. I just wish they offered a 10 gal batch version.

I can see the Anvil has some neat features that this doesn't have, but I have two Chapman fermenters (a 7 gallon and a 14 gallon), and am very happy with them.

https://www.chapmanequipment.com/collections/fermenters.

You can get them through any shop that gets supplies though brewcaft.

I like the dished bottom, but not the plastic stand that the Anvil sits on. Plus, I like to boil a gallon of water and steam sanitize my Chapman fermenters. Heck, I've even just boiled up quick extract batches right in my chapman fermenters!

Just bought two of these yesterday. I hope they fit in my fermentation chamber!

Ordered two this afternoon and already received my tracking number. I have two SS Brewtech buckets already so I am curious as to how they compare. I will report back.

Woohoo! Not having to use my autosiphon is a huge bonus.
Hopefully everything works out. For the price of other ss fermentors, I’ll also be able to upgrade my wort chiller. I have a feeling other companies will be introducing a budget ss fermentor as well.
Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Back