New 10gal corny, burrs on handle welds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz81

Reaction score
Recently got my new 10gal corny (yey) and on the insides, there are some burrs from where the welds (?) are (three spots) where the handles are secured. Guess I'm not sure that this is a weld or some other process.

Just wanted to check since it wasn't exactly a cheap keg, but should I be fine with some 220grit or so sandpaper to smooth them out? I'll be using it as a fermenter for 5.5gal batches, so it's not like beer will be bumping the top lid of the keg either way, but just looking for reassurance since I can be incredibly dumb sometimes.

Recently got my new 10gal corny (yey) and on the insides, there are some burrs from where the welds (?) are (three spots) where the handles are secured. Guess I'm not sure that this is a weld or some other process.

Just wanted to check since it wasn't exactly a cheap keg, but should I be fine with some 220grit or so sandpaper to smooth them out? I'll be using it as a fermenter for 5.5gal batches, so it's not like beer will be bumping the top lid of the keg either way, but just looking for reassurance since I can be incredibly dumb sometimes.
Can you take a picture of them?

Here’s an example on the outside, similar on the inside by feel.

Attachments

• 4F69C3F1-516F-4ADF-9740-ABC707D877DE.jpeg
    4F69C3F1-516F-4ADF-9740-ABC707D877DE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
The inside isn’t quite the same as your normal 5gal corny; not as shiny/glossy of a finish. I think a bit of work with fine grit would smooth them out, just don’t know for sure if I’m harming the keg.

Those are spot welds in the handle (as would be expected) so you're feeling the craters left by the inside jaw of the spot weld rig. I totally understand the concern and would likely take some virgin emery cloth to the innards and follow that with a BKF scrub to fry out any exposed iron particles...

Cheers!

You got that from Chi Company, right? If so, did you get the "new" or the "reconditioned?" If the latter , the "reconditioned" ones are actually brand new off the line, but failed initial inspection of the sanitary welds. They are then buffed out to the best of their ability, but are sold at a discount without a guarantee that the internal welds are in fact sanitary. I can imagine that, if this is all done by automation, a tank that came off the line when they were having issues with the internal welds might reflect that externally. Mine was "new," here's the handle weld, not really all that different from yours. Inside are comparably smooth. If you got yours as "new," then it passed inspection on the sanitary welds, and I'd ignore a little burr on the handle. (Doesn't look like it it could slice an artery and bleed you out. ;D )
20191018_231212.jpg

You got that from Chi Company, right? If so, did you get the "new" or the "reconditioned?" If the latter , the "reconditioned" ones are actually brand new off the line, but failed initial inspection of the sanitary welds. They are then buffed out to the best of their ability, but are sold at a discount without a guarantee that the internal welds are in fact sanitary. I can imagine that, if this is all done by automation, a tank that came off the line when they were having issues with the internal welds might reflect that externally. Mine was "new," here's the handle weld, not really all that different from yours. Inside are comparably smooth. If you got yours as "new," then it passed inspection on the sanitary welds, and I'd ignore a little burr on the handle. (Doesn't look like it it could slice an artery and bleed you out. ;D )View attachment 648876

It was ordered as a new, but the keg has some scratches inside and out and the weld lines look a bit thick in places. I feel like I might have gotten the same stock had I ordered the cheaper new-but-not-sale-grade another site was selling for a bit cheaper (maybe the same as CHI’s refurbs), but it should work fine for me functionally. I don’t think it’ll kill me but it could cut a finger!

I don’t think it’ll kill me but it could cut a finger!
I'd smooth them out to prevent that from happening at a later time, when you've forgotten about it.

I've smoothed out lid openings and lid edges on most of my (used) cornies as some were burred and others were razor sharp. Dremel first, then very fine emery cloth.

Back