Never thought about "creator" of light beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Owades’ bio in Wikipedia (a source only slightly more reliable than Fox ;)) the process of adding gluco to beer was invented by a Swiss chemist named Hersch Gablinger, for whom the Gablinger beer mentioned in the linked news story was named. Owades brought the process to America, but didn’t invent it.

Either way, it’s interesting that Owades was as influential as he apparently was in the development of the American brewing industry as we know it today.

Turns out the creator didn't even drink beer.
There was a master brewer in Latvia, Karlis Zalitis, a national celebrity and a living legend, who passed away last January aged 95. He was famous for creating recipes for some of the country's most popular beers etc.
Among other things, he was known for never drinking beer.

Last edited:
According to Owades’ bio in Wikipedia (a source only slightly more reliable than Fox ;)) the process of adding gluco to beer was invented by a Swiss chemist named Hersch Gablinger, for whom the Gablinger beer mentioned in the linked news story was named. Owades brought the process to America, but didn’t invent it.

Either way, it’s interesting that Owades was as influential as he apparently was in the development of the American brewing industry as we know it today.

I know, it's VERY interesting. Read the story on the news this AM. I've discussed it before, here: Should I use Amylase?

Latest posts

Back