Never remove blow-off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNIbrewster

Reaction score
So I just kegged a Rye IPA with leaving the blow-off tube in the entire fermentation process. I think I'm going to just do this from now on. No dried bubblers and can have multiple tubes going into the same jar with star-san in. Anybody else do this or any negative effects on the final product? :mug:

I've done it for my last 3-4 brews. I'm going to remove it for my RIS since it had a massive blow off and I'm going to leave it alone for a while.

If I feel like I'm gonna have a big fermintation I start with a blow off and just leave it the whole time. No reason to switch it back after fermintation until cold crashing like already stated. It's kinda like a fail safe bc you don't ever have to worry about coming home to a clogged mess.

you can leave blow off attached during cold crashing IF you have less liquid than what the upright portion of the hose can contain
note: this will only work with a larger diameter tube

Cyclman said:
just 'cause I'm lazy.

I'll see your lazy and raise....rather than always leave a blow off in place, I'll say never use a blow off, but rather a large enough fermenter.

Over the years I have found it to be much easier to use a fermenter with adequate head space rather than worrying about a blow off tube.

I'll see your lazy and raise....rather than always leave a blow off in place, I'll say never use a blow off, but rather a large enough fermenter.

Over the years I have found it to be much easier to use a fermenter with adequate head space rather than worrying about a blow off tube.

Most of us dont have that luxury unless we're willing to make smaller batches... So, blow-off is a way of life! A way that most of us find after finding one heck of a mess! :)

So I just kegged a Rye IPA with leaving the blow-off tube in the entire fermentation process. I think I'm going to just do this from now on. No dried bubblers and can have multiple tubes going into the same jar with star-san in. Anybody else do this or any negative effects on the final product? :mug:

I pull it myself as soon as I go to secondary. "IF" I go to a secondary. I then go to the double bubble air lock..

Cheers
Jay

Most of us dont have that luxury unless we're willing to make smaller batches... So, blow-off is a way of life! A way that most of us find after finding one heck of a mess! :)

Luxury? Not what I was thinking at all. Sorry, perhaps my post wasn't well written. Just trying to point out that a larger fermenter can be much easier to use, larger HDPE buckets or drums can be found cheap and work well.

I do realize some may also have space constraints in fermentation chambers, so that could dictate as well.

I normally use a blow-off tube instead of a bubbler on my fermentations, both because I occasionally turn out to need it (like with the batch I just transferred to my bottling bucket) and because a bubbler won't fit on top of the carboy in either of my fermentation fridges.

I thought to blow off tube was for removing the crud off the top that contributes to the nasties?

if you just use a large fermenter, you'd need to skim off the crud?

No way.
Larger fermenter means more beer, not more head space.

Absolutely, Brother!! :rockin:

Seriously though, I fully understand using a fermenter with enough headspace to avoid volcanic eruptions. I still use a blow-off tube 99% of the time for the first 10 days (+/-) and then slap an airlock on the bucket...

I always leave a blow off tube on the entire time. I ferment in a chest freezer and an air lock won't fit with the lid closed. It comes off for cold crashing with just foil.

Yup, I concur. And a blow off tube is just one more thing to clean and sanitize. No thanks.

I thought to blow off tube was for removing the crud off the top that contributes to the nasties?

if you just use a large fermenter, you'd need to skim off the crud?

No a blow off tube is used in place of an airlock as they are more susceptible to clogging if your fermentation gets too aggressive. The blowoff tube allows the extra krausen to simply push down the tube into the blow off jar. Thus not clogging the airlock creating a beercano when the lid or stopper can't contain the internal pressure.

One reason to not leave the blowoff on the entire time is added oxygen exposure. The longer the hose obviously means more surface area contact with oxygen, which will allow more diffusion into the hose and into your beer. I'm not sure what factor the oxygen exposure increases by with leaving the blowoff tube on for a couple of weeks vs. a couple of days, but the risk is there nonetheless.

And I'm sure there will be those of you who will now chime in that "the positive pressure from active fermentation won't allow any O2 to reach the fermentor", but let me save you the time, as you'd be wrong. I'ts been proven time and time again that it does indeed happen, even with a simple 2 or 3 piece airlock, and definitely more so for the large 1" vinyl tubing that we all typically use for blowoff. These materials are not impermeable to oxygen, and the expelling of CO2 from fermentation is not enough to keep said O2 away from your precious brew.

All that said, many of us have lower thresholds for oxygen exposure than others, so this may not be an issue to you. If you leave a blowoff on the carboy the entire time and are happy with your results, then there's likely little need to change your routine.

:mug:

New Brewer here.

Brewed a 5 gallon Porter yesterday afternoon. By this morning I had a good amount of bubbling in the airlock. Called home about 3 pm (24 hours after pitching) and wife said bubbling out of the airlock.

My brew partner son came home and sent me a video of the fermenter lid bowing upward. We talked and decided to rig a blow off tube. We sterilzed with Stat San and put it in. The lid resumed its normal shape and the blow off is bubbling happily in the jar.

Again, why not always use a blow off tube at least for the first few days? How much oxygen diffuses through the hose? Is there a method to calculate this.

Thanks to all for this terrific site. Reassuring that you guys are out there.

New Brewer here.

Brewed a 5 gallon Porter yesterday afternoon. By this morning I had a good amount of bubbling in the airlock. Called home about 3 pm (24 hours after pitching) and wife said bubbling out of the airlock.

My brew partner son came home and sent me a video of the fermenter lid bowing upward. We talked and decided to rig a blow off tube. We sterilzed with Stat San and put it in. The lid resumed its normal shape and the blow off is bubbling happily in the jar.

Again, why not always use a blow off tube at least for the first few days? How much oxygen diffuses through the hose? Is there a method to calculate this.

Thanks to all for this terrific site. Reassuring that you guys are out there.

The first few days are the only days it should truly be needed. This thread was based on the idea of never moving on to an airlock after said first few days.(laziness)
Oxygen early on isn't a worry and in fact good for our yeast buddies.
Welcome to hbt!

Back