Nespresso capsules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABeerZale

Reaction score
I have a stout in the primary and will be adding coffee to the secondary. My question is, has anyone ever used Nespresso capsules and if so how many and how did your beer turn out?

I hope you are just trying to use up a bunch of pods that would otherwise be thrown away... The cost per ounce is crazy.

Never used them in beer, but I have a Nespresso machine. Pods are just packed coffee, so I'd say just weigh out the grounds and cold brew and use in your beer as if it were regular, finely-ground coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Haven't really thought about the price, have a load of capsules in the cupboard. I was more thinking as I already have them, why spend more buying ground coffee? And I know it's decent quality.
You say take the coffee out of the capsules,why not just make them in the normal way?? Is that too avoid the oils that could spoil had retention out sth like that I've read in other threads?

There probably isn't a "right way" to add coffee to beer; I prefer a "which way do you want" approach. And maybe "what do you want to obtain".

Cold brewing can add a lot of flavor with, supposedly, less bitterness. I prefer this because you can measure how much grounds you are using and adjust the intensity / liquid ratio pretty easily.

But you could also put the grounds in a cheesecloth or hop bag and steep them directly in your beer.

And of course, you could just brew at ristretto, espresso, or lungo strengths to your preference and add it to secondary (or primary.. or even boil) depending on what you want to obtain.

If you are just trying to use up some old pods and add some coffee to your beer, go for it. Why complicate things? :)

All that said - I'm speaking as a guy who brews a lot of coffee but hasn't yet added it to beer. I don't know how much you'd want to use - feels like there's about an oz of coffee in each pod (haven't weighed out the grounds) and if your machine is at standard settings then you may have brew options at .85 oz (ristretto), 1.35 oz (espresso), and 3.75 oz (lungo). The pods labeled lungo probably have more coffee grounds inside (I can't find anything but regular espresso pods in my coffee nook).

I'm a coffee beer brewing virgin too, still got a day or two to read up and decide what way to go. Beer has been in primary for a week now and has fermented quite well.

Appreciate the feedback , cheers man!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Decided to buy some fresh coffee and cold brew. Got 250grams of Colombian, steeped it in a litre of water, 1 : 4 ratio, plan to transfer tomorrow to secondary. Had another taste today after taking the density reading, very nice, down to 1016 now, 5.78ABV. Really looking forward to this one now!!

I've done coffee in beer several ways - brewing a pot and putting it in, adding to the boil, cold brewing coffee and adding it, etc. The last few times I've ground enough coffee for 1-2 pots and dumped it into the primary after active fermentation is done, leaving it for a week or two. I find that this ends up pretty smooth, in addition to being easier than the other methods.

Back