NEIPA with no bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew this Sunday and am considering trying a NEIPA without any bittering hop additions. Has anyone tried this, and is it a nice twist for a refreshing beer? Did you reduce or eliminate your boil? Any pointers are appreciated.

Many people only do a big hopstand for hazy IPAs. Some boil and some don't. Short boil is awesome. I haven't tried a raw one yet, but that's the way I'd do it.

I don't have much experience, but I haven't been able to tell the difference between a hopstand and 2 minute addition taste wise. Just save 20+ minutes with the latter.

Maybe try it and see how it goes?

Did you reduce or eliminate your boil? Any pointers are appreciated.
Extracting bitterness from whole and pellet hops is one reason to boil longer. But there are other reasons. A couple of examples 1) a classic example is "Evil Twin (link)"; 2) "shelf stability" (link) is important to commercial brewing, but may not be as important when home brewing test batches or smaller batch sizes.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to do a 30 minute boil, no bittering, and do hopstand + dry hop only. Trying Kviek yeast for the first time.

This is a fairly common technique with hazy IPAs these days. The more you want your beer to taste like fruit juice the less bitterness you want.

Here's what I'm planning, feedback is always welcome

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1225935/el-citra-neipa
12 lb 2-row
2 lb white wheat malt
0.5 lb rolled oats

boil 30 minutes - no hop additions

hopstand @ 170 for 20 min
3 oz lupomax citra
3 oz lupomax el dorado

chill to 90F, pitch Lutra Kviek yeast (wanted Voss but couldn't get it quick enough)

dry hop
3 oz lupomax citra
3 oz lupomax el dorado

Back