NEIPA - Recipe Review Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingSparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for looking. Been looking at this too long. Could use some feedback. Feels like too many hops but not sure if that's even a real thing at this point.

12 Gallon target (2 kegs and a few bottles)

80% Pale Malt (#20)
08% CaraMunich (#2)
08% Flaked Oats (#2)

1oz Warrior (First Wort)

2oz Citra (whirlpool 185º@20min)
2oz Mosaic (whirlpool 185º@20min)
2oz Amarillo (whirlpool 185º@20min)
2oz Azecca (whirlpool 185º@20min)

3oz Citra (dry hop)
1.5oz Centennial (dry hop)
1.5oz Mosaic (dry hop)
1oz Azecca (dry hop)
1oz Amarillo (dry hop)

3oz Citra (dry hop day 3)
1.5oz Centennial (dry hop day 3)
1.5oz Mosaic (dry hop day 3)
1oz Azecca (dry hop day 3)
1oz Amarillo (dry hop day 3)

1:7 Sulfate/Chloride Ratio

London III Yeast

I think it seems fine. You're definitely going to lose a lot of volume from the quantity of hops, so be sure you've accounted for that (perhaps that's why it's a 12 gallon batch? Hoping for 9-10 gallons when all's said and done?).

I do think that the sulfate to chloride ratio is a little exaggerated (I'd go with maybe 1:3), but on the other hand, that does seem to be the way NEIPAs are swinging right now.

Also, grist seems fine (I like that it's relatively simple). However, you might want to fix those percentages. 80%+8%+8%=96%

I think it seems fine. You're definitely going to lose a lot of volume from the quantity of hops, so be sure you've accounted for that (perhaps that's why it's a 12 gallon batch? Hoping for 9-10 gallons when all's said and done?).

I do think that the sulfate to chloride ratio is a little exaggerated (I'd go with maybe 1:3), but on the other hand, that does seem to be the way NEIPAs are swinging right now.

Also, grist seems fine (I like that it's relatively simple). However, you might want to fix those percentages. 80%+8%+8%=96%

Yes, I'm expecting the hops will soak up a lot of juice. I appreciate a simple grain bill too (for all styles). Thanks for pointing out the grain bill numbers. I'm laughing at myself now.

Back