NEIPA first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
11# pale
1.5#flaked wheat
1#white wheat
1.75# flaked barley
4 oz acid(for pH balance)

Imperial yeast a38 juice

.5 oz Fwh exp grapefruit
Flamout 1oz citra 1 oz mosaic 1oz El dorado
Steep at 160 1 oz exp grapefruit and 1 oz mosaic
Biotransformation hop 2 days into fermentation 1.5 oz mosaic, 1 oz citra
End of fermentation hop 1 oz exp grapefruit 1 oz El dorado
Dry hop 1 oz each mosaic, exp grapefruit and El dorado.

Also made water ratio chloride heavy

Thoughts? Really have no clue how this will turn out and how long should I wait til keg.

Og turned out to be 1.081

That's gonna be a big neipa :D

I know zip about the "exp grapefruit" hops - is that the same strain that was first marketed in 2014?
Making general assumptions about that and looking at the rest of the hop schedule I'm inclined to believe that's going to be an awesome beer with a massive hop punch up front.

I would go four to five days from the last dry hop addition, then cold crash and keg.
No reason to let it sit around, lots of reasons not to. My usual neipa schedule puts the beer in the keg 12 days after the pitch...

Cheers!

Yeah I don't know what exp grapefruit is called now but it is that. Supposed to be very grapefruit zesty. Been brewing all grain for 5 years and this efficiency was supposed to be 1.070 so it is going to be around 8 percent now but I've seen some this high (revision brewing) by biggest worry is getting the final gravity low enough

Only thing I would question is the three ounces of hops at flameout...they will add some bitterness at boil temp until the beer is chilled, even if it only takes 5 minutes to get from boiling to 160. Why not add them with the Mosaic when you get to 160F temp? I recently did a NEIPA and except for a .25 ounce of Cascade at 60 mins, no hops were added until I was below 170, then I pounded it with 3 ounces of the 2 Aussie hops and 2 ounces of Idaho 7. It took 1st and also 2nd place for BOS in a recent comp.

Get it into the keg after about 2 weeks or so. It will still need 7-14 days in the Keg to condition. It usually takes my NEIPAs (12-16oz. for hops for 5 gallons) that amount of time to get rid of the "grassy" note. You will get a good beer if your ferm goes well.

Ditch the FWH and with flameout if possible whirlpool for like 15 minutes and bump those hops up a few ounces each. It will add bitterness (rounded/soft) and add big aromatics. I’d also bump up the dry hop amounts. I usually dry hop 4 days and 2 days before kegging. Other than that I’d say the grain bills looks good.

Well the fact that only one person neantioned the grain bill ( in a good way) means I'll be ok there. It's been fermenting now for 7 full days (pitched Tuesday still going 8 days later) now I'm getting worried about over attenuation . I know I could always halt the fermentation but I took the gravity 2 days ago and it was still at 1.030 so I'm just worried about it getting farmhouse like)

I'm not sure if your grain bill is huge or not...kinda depends on batch size and your expected efficiency. What was your OG? How much yeast did you pitch? I'm not familiar with that yeast, but 1318 (my go to for NEIPA) is at FG in about 2-3 days with my 2L starter.

As far as final gravity, I look to finish around 1.012 or so. I doubt you'll get over attenuation.

I'll be curious to hear how you feel about the hop flavor/aroma and bitterness. I usually skip the FWH and do a 5 min, FO and WP looking to get all bitterness from the 5 min and FO additions. My first batch was FWH, WP and DH only and I thought it lacked intensity. After dropping the FWH and doing a larger late boil addition, it really came alive. If you're not satisfied with the punch, you could try that next time.

Let us know how she tastes....

So she is still bubbling but ever so slowly. Took another gravity and it was down to 1.020. my og was 1.082 which was much higher than expected. I was shooting for about 1.070 with 70 percent efficiency. Usually this estimate in beer Smith is really close not sure where the extra 12 points came from after I keg I'll have to measure how many gallons I got. From the samples so far I like the bitterness needs more hop aroma but I have to more dry hop additions still to add

I use the brulosophy attenuation method where you ferment the first 3 to 5 days at whatever your yeast calls for (66 in this case) then ramp up to 72 to encourage full attenuation. So it is currently at 72 since it is still bubbling 11 days later

Latest posts

Back