NEIPA Extract Recipe Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jramses

Reaction score
I borrowed from different recipes online. Thoughts on this one? Is there too much wheat malt? seems kinda overkill imo. Open to suggestions :)
Fermentables

Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
6.72%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
4 lb Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen 42 2 40%
4 lb Dry Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition) 42 3 40%
0.5 lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) 46 0.5 5%
8.5 lb Total

Steeping Grains around 155F for 30-45min
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat 34 2 5%
0.5 lb Torrified Wheat 36 2 5%
0.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 5%

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 First Wort 15.89
1 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 0 min
1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Whirlpool at 180 °F 20 min 14.98
1 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Whirlpool at 180 °F 20 min 19.41
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Whirlpool at 18 °F 20 min 17.02
0.5 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Dry Hop 2 days
1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 2 days
0.5 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 2 days
0.5 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 2 days
1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 7 days
0.5 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 7 days
0.5 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 10 days
0.5 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 10 days
0.5 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 10 days

Yeast
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318
Attenuation (avg):
73%
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
64 - 74 °F
Starter:
No

You can't steep flaked grains- you'll need to add some two-row as a base malt to convert those oat and wheat flakes. Two pounds would do it. The rest looks really good to me!

Im using 3.5 gallons to boil then topping off with 2 gallons. Total amount of grain will be 3.5lbs so thats roughly 1.25 gallons of water to mash the wheat and oats. Should I then add the rest of the boil water into the kettle once the conversion is done, bring to a boil, and then add the extract and proceed from there?

You can't steep flaked grains- you'll need to add some two-row as a base malt to convert those oat and wheat flakes. Two pounds would do it. The rest looks really good to me!

how much more fermentable will this give me? I'm assuming the extra 2 pounds of 2 row will bump up my OG a bit

Im using 3.5 gallons to boil then topping off with 2 gallons. Total amount of grain will be 3.5lbs so thats roughly 1.25 gallons of water to mash the wheat and oats. Should I then add the rest of the boil water into the kettle once the conversion is done, bring to a boil, and then add the extract and proceed from there?

You'd get about 9-10 points from 2 pounds of two-row in a give gallon batch. I'd use three pounds of wheat DME instead of four, and that would be about equal to the OG you have.

How I'd do it- I'd put the grains in 1.75 gallons and hold at 45 minutes to 60 minutes at 150-154.

Then, when you lift up the bag of grains, pour about 2 gallons over that grainbag, to get to your boil volume. Add your FWH then. Bring to a boil, and add the three pound bag of the extract when it's off the heat, and proceed with your recipe.

You'll boil off about a gallon, I"d guess but it really depends on your stove and your set up.

Then, when you are done with the 60 minute boil, turn off the heat. Add the rest of the extract and stir well. And add the corn sugar at that time also. That should get you near your whirlpool temperature, so you can proceed with the whirlpool hops and then chill.

Then top off to the 5 gallons at that point.

My thoughts: I would do all pilsen DME vs the wheat DME, but either one should work. Also, I would probably remove the first wort/0 min hops and do only whirlpool/dry hop additions.

Hi, I ran across this old thread. Did you make this extract NEIPA recipe?

I am interested in making an extract NEIPA and am wondering how this one went if you made it.

I understand most of the process from reading through the recipe.

I was wondering if you pre cook the oats before adding them or if you put everything in a steeping bag (two row, and adjuncts) and steep together.

What temperature do you add the whirlpool hops? 150-160 F

Also (silly question) what is FWH?

Hi, I ran across this old thread. Did you make this extract NEIPA recipe?

I am interested in making an extract NEIPA and am wondering how this one went if you made it.

I understand most of the process from reading through the recipe.

I was wondering if you pre cook the oats before adding them or if you put everything in a steeping bag (two row, and adjuncts) and steep together.

What temperature do you add the whirlpool hops? 150-160 F

Also (silly question) what is FWH?
I ended it up brewing it but I did it all grain. It came out really good but oxidized after one week in the bottle. I haven't brewed it again due to not being able to keg. Instead of extract I used two row rahr. Any extract would do tho

I ended it up brewing it but I did it all grain. It came out really good but oxidized after one week in the bottle. I haven't brewed it again due to not being able to keg. Instead of extract I used two row rahr. Any extract would do tho
And fwh means first wort hop. After you mash in you add a little dose of hops as the water heats up to a boil. from my understanding it gives a smoother bitterness.

I went ahead and brewed a similar recipe to this. I ended up cobbling together information from another thread and this one. It is carbonating in the bottles and should be done in a week.
Nice. Let me know how it turns out. I know it's a good recipe but it's only as good as your equipment. Drink it asap!

I tried a bottle today (a week early!) and it has pretty good flavor and a really great hop aroma. I can tell it is oxidizing, as the color is beginning to change already.

I met some friends last night and we are going to try again by kegging it and forced carbonating.

Back