NEIPA. Dry hopping in keg. Hop Creep....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading and looking over recipes. I have yet to hear someone mention dry hoping in a keg for New England Style IPA. There is a lot of discussion on "Hop Creep". Wouldn't dry hopping colder (in a keg) help with eliminating hop creep? Instead of during active fermentation? Just looking for some thoughts.... I guess the con would be having to wait long for the hops to do their thing in the cold keg.

Good read. This could totally change the way I dry hop. When I first started I was dry hopping for 7 to 10 days. After reading this Im thinking I wont drop any until about 2-3 days left in primary.

So it's safe to say keg hopping during carbonation is a good idea. And it takes less time than i always heard (always heard around 10 days minimum for keg hopping)

"Even at colder temperatures of 34-39°F (1°C-4°C), Wolfe suggests that extraction could still occur in less than three days."

Hop Bite:
"When dry hopping at 66°F (19°C) compared to 39°F (4°C), there was an increase in polyphenol concentrations of nearly two-fold for the low-alpha hop and nearly 2.5-fold for the high alpha hop."

"Another is to dry hop during the cold carbonation period, especially since certain hop compounds like linalool were tested to still extract at colder temperatures."

I use a keg hopper similar to this 842386 - Keg/Bucket Dry Hopper but shorter since I make 2.5 gallon batches.

when making NEIPAs I will just do a ton of flameout hops, then just dry hop in the keg. I can fit about 4-5 ozs which is plenty. No hop creep - the keg usually kicks fairly quickly. I also keg condition which I think scrapes any O2 as well.
This also takes out the PITA of dealing with O2 pickup in your NEIPAs

I use a keg hopper similar to this 842386 - Keg/Bucket Dry Hopper but shorter since I make 2.5 gallon batches.

when making NEIPAs I will just do a ton of flameout hops, then just dry hop in the keg. I can fit about 4-5 ozs which is plenty. No hop creep - the keg usually kicks fairly quickly. I also keg condition which I think scrapes any O2 as well.
This also takes out the PITA of dealing with O2 pickup in your NEIPAs

Sounds exactly what I do. The past 5 brews/kegs using that keg hopper/mesh container, i get really murky beer the first 4 or 5 pints. This is the only problem so far with 4oz in the container. I feel like 4 pints gets wasted. I drink them but they are ugly. Does this happen top you?

I haven’t noticed that, but I’m usually tasting a little early on my beers and they can be cloudy and more yeasty for the first couple. Might just be natural settling in the keg.

I am fermenting a NEIPA (2.5 gallons in a 3 gallon keg). I just did a soft crash to 50° last night and plan on dry hopping tonight.

My question is; if I throw 3 oz of pellet hops in, do I need to bag them, or can they be loose? I'm using a 2.5 gallon keg dip tube in the 3 gallon keg. I'm assuming the hops will all fall down to the bottom after a day or two. Am I risking clogging up my keg?

I am fermenting a NEIPA (2.5 gallons in a 3 gallon keg). I just did a soft crash to 50° last night and plan on dry hopping tonight.

My question is; if I throw 3 oz of pellet hops in, do I need to bag them, or can they be loose? I'm using a 2.5 gallon keg dip tube in the 3 gallon keg. I'm assuming the hops will all fall down to the bottom after a day or two. Am I risking clogging up my keg?

Went ahead and bagged.

Dry hops in.

I used a muslin bag that I boiled AND soaked in sanitizer. Taking no chances. Weighed down with a sanitized shot glass.

I turned the gass off, opened the lid, turned gas on at low pressure, quickly placed the hops in and sealed the top. Purged the keg several times afterwards to make sure to get as much oxygen as possible out.

PSI now set at 15 for the next day. This bad boy should be good to go on Friday.

I’m feeling really good about this! When I purged the keg, my nose was hit with very strong hop aroma.

Yeah definitely bag them. I have clogged before.

Also i use these. They are really great. Way better than bags

Brewing Hopper Basket, Stainless Steel 300 Micron Mesh – Cornelius Keg Homebrew Dry Hops Beer and Tea Kettle Brew Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764MRPPM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XHP2QSSHN21AREDCHK9H
I have a small stainless steel dry hopping ball, but it only fits about an oz. Thought about getting a couple more. I like those too, and almost bought one, but thought it may be too big for more 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back