NEIPA dry hop issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmyers04

Reaction score
So my NEIPA is 3 days in so it’s time for dry hop number one. I have always used hop socks to dry hop with. I read that utilization is bad if you use one so I decided for the first time to dump them right in. There was a decent Krausen. They appeared to all sink below the krausen level which I was good with. Came back in a little later to check the temp and they are just floating on top of the krausen. Is this a bad thing? You would want them swirling around down below the krausen in the beer to get the max out of the oils? I tried to put a picture but I keeps giving me an error.

6278C8B6-B9D9-42AD-9B69-56EA5C170D72.jpeg

That's a fairly full vessel, but this is one of those times that you can safely swirl the fermentor to mix the hop mush into the more liquid part of the beer as the yeast are still working plus you'll generate a nice plume of flushing CO2 in the offing..

fwiw I always use free swimming pellets in the fermentor then cold-crash the mush to the bottom once they've done their thing...

Cheers!

That's a fairly full vessel, but this is one of those times that you can safely swirl the fermentor to mix the hop mush into the more liquid part of the beer as the yeast are still working plus you'll generate a nice plume of flushing CO2 in the offing..

fwiw I always use free swimming pellets in the fermentor then cold-crash the mush to the bottom once they've done their thing...

Cheers!
Well I swirled it this morning, seemed to have moved some of them down into the beer.....Went home and checked it on lunch at right back up to the top they go. I feel for an NEIPA them not being down in the beer isnt good? Are the oils (biotransformation) still getting down into the beer?

This has to be an issue with these beers.....? With the hops hanging on top of the krausen

What size carboy is that? It looks pretty tight compared to the 5 gallon batches I do in my 6.5g carboys.
Also are you using pellets or whole cones? I can't tell from the picture, but for sure pellets are easier to deal with in the fermentor - if you can cold-crash at the end.

fwiw, I've been adding the bio-hop pellets 24 hours post-pitch and they get tossed pretty well over the next couple of days via the throes of fermentation. But by the 4th day - 5th for sure - when the fermentation has been accomplished and gone basically quiet there's always a thick layer of pellet mush atop the beer. THEN I add the next dry hop round of pellets, rock the carboys to get them mixed into the beer, put my CO2 caps on and let them sit for another 4 days with a daily rocking to re-sink the mush, then cold-crash for two days before racking to kegs...

Cheers!

What size carboy is that? It looks pretty tight compared to the 5 gallon batches I do in my 6.5g carboys.
Also are you using pellets or whole cones? I can't tell from the picture, but for sure pellets are easier to deal with in the fermentor - if you can cold-crash at the end.

fwiw, I've been adding the bio-hop pellets 24 hours post-pitch and they get tossed pretty well over the next couple of days via the throes of fermentation. But by the 4th day - 5th for sure - when the fermentation has been accomplished and gone basically quiet there's always a thick layer of pellet mush atop the beer. THEN I add the next dry hop round of pellets, rock the carboys to get them mixed into the beer, put my CO2 caps on and let them sit for another 4 days with a daily rocking to re-sink the mush, then cold-crash for two days before racking to kegs...

Cheers!
It’s a 6.5 I believe. Pellets is what’s in there. Just afraid to rock it too much I don’t wanna oxidize it. And I’ve gently done it but nothing has fallen down into the beer. Worried the co2 can’t escape

Oh, the CO2 will find its way out, no worries there...

I am concerned with my second round of dry hopping.....Not sure the best way to do it. I could cold crash it, then when those drop out I could add the next round? I don't want to put them in and just have them sit on top of the hop/krausen that is already there.

Back